Minicab driver's insurer does not want to pay up. - Thingybob81
I am in a bit of a pickle, I was driving down the road , when I suddenly heard a bang and realised that the rear passenger in a minicab which had parked illegally had unwittingly flung the door open, and damaged my vehicle. I will have to replace my door and other trim, however when I contacted the drivers insurer I was told that driver is not liable for the damage and I should claim from the fare paying passenger who had opened the door without looking and who conveniently managed to disappear before the police arrived. The whole incident was caught on camera and there are a number of witnesses. My question is, is the insurer right in saying that the cab driver is without fault?, or am I being duped. I have contacted the legal assistance people on my insurance policy but am of the opinion that they won?t be very helpful.

Edited by Pugugly on 17/10/2008 at 23:13

Minicab drivers insurer does not want to pay up. - SpamCan61 {P}
IANAL but I was under the impression that in all cases the driver of a vehicle is responsible for the actions of passengers within the vehicle, so I think the insurance are yanking your chain.
Minicab drivers insurer does not want to pay up. - Falkirk Bairn
Claim off the cab owner / company - ignore their insurer.

The cab insurer might want to go after the passenger but that is their problem - not yours.