Golf GTI turbo cambelt - KW

VW documentation on when to change the cambelt on the 1.8 Gti Turbo isn't clear, any idea on when/mileage it should be changed.
thanks,
KW
Golf GTI turbo cambelt - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
VW have always been a bit wooly on change intervals with just an inspection every 20,000 miles. Personally I would go for 3 years/36,000 miles as a maximum.
Golf GTI turbo cambelt - Marcus
Mine - a March 2000 Golf had its 40K service last week at VW agents. I checked with agents and the VW recm'd interval is 120K. I checked with another VW agent who said exactly the same.

Now in these days when Main Dealers want to get as much work as possible, would they miss the opportunity to carry out that expensive task if they could get away with it?

Mmmm you have me worried!

Golf GTI turbo cambelt - M.M
KW,

Andrew is right, the VW advice is rather "broad" to say the least. Their "check/inspect" at 20K intervals and replace if required (not saying that is the advice for your engine but it has been for a huge amount of VWs in the past) is plain daft.

I refuse to do belt inspections for customers, if they are that concerned then the belt should be changed.

In checking a belt there are two important things to look for, splitting at the root of teeeth on the inside of the belt and a rough tensioner bearing. You can often only see the splits starting when the belt has been removed and turned inside out, and the tensioner bearing can only be freely spun with the belt off. Given that you should never re-fit a used belt then in making a proper inspection the belt will have to be replaced...so plan to do it anyway.

Case in point I mentioned the other day. Renault Laguna Diesel at 43K with a Renault advised belt change point of 72K. Belt looked perfect when fitted to the engine but once removed was found to be split right across on the inside adj one tooth root. Also the tensioner bearing was just showing play and sounding noisy. How near 72K would they have gone??

David W
Golf GTI turbo cambelt - KW

Certainly gives me something to think carefully about....I just wonder how much changing the belt and tensioner will cost?