Pinking - Happy Blue!
I generally run my cars on Shell V-Power or other high octane fuel, and have done so for many year. In almost every car i have driven, I have heard some pinking (at least I think its pinking), usually whilst driving at medium speed up a hill.

I thought that with the advent of ECUs and higher octane fuels, pinking was a thing of the past. Clearly I am wrong?
Pinking - andyp
My 1.6 Picasso used to "pink" mostly when accelerating up through the gears especially when it was very hot, after being in heavy traffic etc (and it was getting worse). The dealer could find nothing wrong, but strangely after it went in for its 37500 mile service when they changed the spark plugs for the first time, the problem went ! I have never known a connection between spark plugs and pinking, but cant see that it can have been anything else !
I had tried different makes of fuel, including the higher octane ones and none of them made any difference to it.

Edited by andyp on 05/10/2008 at 12:11

Pinking - bimmer-driver
My old SEAT Ibiza 1.2 3 cyl jobbie used to do it all the time, when under load between 1500rpm and 2500 rpm. Never got to the bottom of it, despite changing plugs, fuel used etc. It drove me daft so I got rid in the end.
Pinking - FotheringtonThomas
! I have never known a connection between spark plugs and pinking but cant see
that it can have been anything else !

Could be whiskers.
Pinking - Cliff Pope
>> ! I have never known a connection between spark plugs and pinking but cant
see
>> that it can have been anything else !

If the plugs are the wrong kind and run too hot it can cause premature ignition.
If all other measures fail it might be worth switching to the next coolest grade.
Pinking - andyp
It was still fitted with the spark plugs that it came out of the factory with as Citroen reckon that they only need changing every 37.5k (or 3 years) - but i suppose its still possible that they could have been the wrong ones !

But as mentioned somewhere else on here it only pinked for a few seconds as it was accelerating and never constantly at high speed.
Pinking - FotheringtonThomas
Try a lower gear!
Pinking - Pendlebury
Interestingly my VW's used to always pink - and I believed the dealers when they said it was ok - even after replacing knock sensors when I demanded they take action to fix the problem - but ever since I was converted to go Japanese, The Toyota and Honda have never pinked regardless of whether I use V power, Ultimate or a Supermarket petrol.
Come to think of it - even when I needed to change down a cog or two they never actually pinked.

Edited by Pendlebury on 05/10/2008 at 14:59

Pinking - jc2
Knock sensors are not the most reliable of items-hard to calibrate and can pick up vibrations in the engine from other than the combustion chamber-better to do a good ignition calibration in the first place than rely on the sensor as some manufacturers do.
Pinking - Dog
My 1.6 Focus used to 'pink' uphill under slight throttle, never did it in reverse though so must have been the gearbox ;)
My 1.8 Almera couldn't be made to pink for all the tea in Tesco's - Jap made in Vikingland (N.E.)

Dog.
Pinking - jc2
Where a car is built and where the calibration was done bear no relation to each other.
Pinking - frazerjp
I don't think cars ping as nearly much as they used to.. say 10 years ago.
My Dad's Fiat Tempra used to pink a lot whilst going up a certain hill near where we live.
Since then he's gone to automatics which hardly pink at all because they change down earlier then manuals.

My Ford Ka used to ping on that same hill, but didn't at all if I used Super Unleaded but did make a roaring sound if i was to push the throttle too much.
I've never heard my MG ZR ping ever!
Pinking - Number_Cruncher
Typically, a knock control program will be consistently advancing the ignition beyond its open loop value. The default open loop advance value for a given set of engine operating conditions is always on the safe side, plus another margin of safety.

During driving, the ignition is advanced until the knock sensor detects knock, then, backed off, and then, slowly, advanced again. This process continues all the time.

So, if you've been driving with a light foot, the ignition will be well advanced (this used to be done by the vacuum advance unit on the distributor), and so, when you put your foot down, the engine will pink, just for a second, until the knock control has gone through enough retatd cycles to stop the pinking.

So, while you do hear momentary pinking, I haven't heard prolonged pinking for years.

Knock sensors do have a difficult job to do - Montegos, for example, could run really badly with no power because the knock sensor mistook an exhaust rattle for knocking, and so, retarded the timing fully! I've also come across an engine with worn valve gear being brought into the workshop with the engine management light on, holding knock sensor trouble codes in memory - oddly enough, no number of new knock sensors fitted by previous garages could fix the faults!

Added to the general problem of the ambient acoustic environment, is the problem that the sensors themselves produce only a tiny signal which is easily swamped by electrical interference, which, if it's in the ~4kHz frequency range, where knock is detected, the ECU cannot filter it out.

Pinking - jc2
What you say is true,if a car is fitted with a knock sensor,but as I said earlier,it can be hard to calibrate them and,as you say,they can be swamped by other vibrations in the engine.Because of these concerns,some vehicles are not fitted with sensors,and in these cases,the ignition calibration would be set to just below BLD(borderline det.) at WOT(or as you say,open loop).
Pinking - Number_Cruncher
Fully agree jc2 - the thing I'm surprised about is that we haven't seen more use of the Saab Trionic system, where the spark plug electrodes are used as sensors when the plug isn't firing.