Motor Cycle licence advice needed - stevek
Hi there

I had a post some time ago about my intention to buy and restore an old motorbike. Now I passed my driving test in 1975 and around 1978 I was riding a 125 yamaha on L plates quite legally. IIRC there was no two year limit then.
In 1996 I moved house and send my licence off for the address to be changed. Was issued with another greeen licence then.

Now I come to look at it and the motorcycle section is blank so it looks like the provisonal entitlement to ride up to 125cc has been with drawn.

Do I now have to apply to DVLA to have it added and complete a CBT before I can now ride on the road?

Reason I ask is that I have had different answers. One is that as my original licence was issued before 2001 then No. Other is Yes.

I know I can ring DVLA but I am sure I will get some good advice here.

Many thanks.

Made Make/Model non-specific

Edited by Pugugly on 04/10/2008 at 19:07

Motor Cycle licence advice needed - Pugugly
Provisional entitlement seems to have "dropped off". You're right about the two year limit that came in in around '83. Regardless of good advice on this site, phone DVLA - regardless of expertise here only they can confirm your case one way or another !
Motor Cycle licence advice needed - Harleyman
Agree with PU. You'll definitely need to do CBT no matter what, before you can ride anything other than a moped on the road,
Motor Cycle licence advice needed - Harleyman
Just a thought; why don't you restore one of the old "Sports" mopeds of the 70's, like a Yamaha FS1-E? They're getting very popular, and you wouldn't need to do any training as you've got "grandfather rights" on your car licence, or at least you should have.

Excellent web resource here;

www.phpbber.com/phpbb/portal.php?sid=361b8406a012a...c

Be warned, though, sports mopeds are like fat women; great fun to ride but don't let your mates catch you doing it! ;-)
Motor Cycle licence advice needed - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
If you have a car licence, you automatically have a provisional bike licence.

You will have to do a CBT, no need to contact DVLA, and can then ride 125s for up to two years. At the end of the two years you can take another CBT if you're happy on L's, but it's better to get some proper training and get a full licence.

Your pre-2001 full car licence allows you to ride a 50cc without L plates.

You can take a test on a 125cc, and if you pass you can then ride any bike but its power output must be restricted (33BHP I think, but best to check, equivalent to a typical 400cc) for two years after which you can remove the restriction.

Alternatively, as you're over 21, do Direct Access which will give you a full licence straight away - so you could get straight on a 600 say but there's no upper limit other than insurance.

It's the same test for both; the main difference is you can teach yourself on a 125 and just take the test, whereas Direct Access must be done through a training school because you can't ride the bigger bike unaccompanied. Teaching yourself might sound a good idea, but bear in mind you're aiming to pass a test and need to know its quirks.

HTH

Motor Cycle licence advice needed - NARU
If you going to do your test, its probably better to do it sooner rather than later. There are new rules coming along which require taking the test at a dedicated centre (all because we agreed to do the emergency stop from 31mph [50kph], so it can't be done legally on the roads). These were supposed to have started about now but have been delayed.
Motor Cycle licence advice needed - stevek
Thanks to all for the good advice.