Toyota MR2 (The original one) - ajit
Apart from the car by car breakdown info- does anyone have any additional info on them - in terms of reliability, potential classic status. How much would a good T bar cost ?
Toyota MR2 (The original one) - Tomo
Hello, agit.

I'd say mechanically they are likely to be as good as anything of their age, and certainly they are a delight to drive. SWMBO had an early one, and as a result I tend to have a good look at any I come across. The bad news is that they now tend to show signs of the dreaded tinworm, and the structure is quite complex, so you need a good one, especially if it's to be a T-bar.

They were featured in Practical Classic a while back.

I think you are looking at £3,000 to £3,500.

If you are serious, think about the Toyota Enthusiasts' Club or the MK I Register (I think it is) in Directories; and don't rush in.

As to classic status, I think it always had it, but I'm biased; however, it will certainly have it, like lesser vehicles, once enough rust away!

Good luck, Tomo (The Old Motoring Owl)

Toyota MR2 (The original one) - ajit
Tomo

Thanks for your advice.

It took me some weeks to get to view the car. (Am writing from India). It belonged to a coffee planter who owns 50 + cars.

The car drove beautifully but.....I took your advice on looking for tinworm and there were signs showing at the floorpan, wing, door junction. There were little bubbles appearing and the trim was ...well tired!

The buyer wanted around 3500 pounds, I offered 1700 pounds for it figuring that it would need a lot of bodywork. My offer was met by a lot of profanity and "I have 50 cars, what do you know" speeches plus how dare you insult me by saying the car has rust!!

Enough said - me thinks a lot of car collectors with 10 + cars are not very good car keepers

Regds

Ajit