Transport for Environmental Executives - Paul Robinson
I'm working on a project with some guys launching a new venture. They are very experienced in the recruitment industry and the new business will be placing staff in all sorts of roles within the environmental sector. What sort of cars do people think would be appropriate for two directors to use - one is 40 three children from 13 - 2 and a large dog. The other is 35 and has 2 children 3 & 1. They have been used to having traditional 'executive' vehicles.
Transport for Environmental Executives - SuperBuyer
When you say "environmental sector" what do you mean? I'm guessing the car will need to meet certain environmental criteria (or as I like to say going green on a budget - the car is better because its cheaper to run and has less emissions so is good PR wise)

Anyway, my tuppence:-

BMW 3/5 series with its efficient dynamics? (The 3 isn't particularly executive, but its size can be better)

VW Golf/Passat Bluemotion or the Audi A3 special edition - 105bhp.

Just some thoughts...

Transport for Environmental Executives - Nsar
hybrids
Transport for Environmental Executives - borasport20
'Environmental Executives' - the more words we have, the less they mean. Could mean they run a landfill company, could mean Landscape gardeners or research scientists.
Transport for Environmental Executives - Roger Jones
Shouldn't they be leading by example: walking, cycling, using public transport, . . . ?
Transport for Environmental Executives - L'escargot
They've worked hard to reach the level they're at so they should drive something befitting their director status ~ BMW 7 series.
Transport for Environmental Executives - oldnotbold
Push-bike and public transport, surely. Work from home when not with customers, no need for commuting in the internet age.
Transport for Environmental Executives - Bill Payer
Lexus 400h
Transport for Environmental Executives - Paul Robinson
To answer some of the above points - customers will be throughout the modern business community. Companies are increasingly recognising that good environmental performance makes good business sense, but need to recruit staff with the necessary skills to make progress with this.

To be fair to them, they will use public transport most of the time and won't be customer facing very often by working online etc, but on the occasions when they have to arrive somewhere by car, what should it be?
Transport for Environmental Executives - Baskerville
but on the occasions when
they have to arrive somewhere by car what should it be?

Whatever the car sharing scheme has available.
"but on the occasions when they have to arrive somewhere by car, what should it be?"

I don't think anyone has seen my car yet, despite travelling to customers for years. Would they even care?

Far more important that they deliver a good service. If they are successful and have the cash - big Merc/BMW/Porsche. If they'd rather take it as pay, then whatever they get a good deal on from the lease co.
Transport for Environmental Executives - Pica
"I don't think anyone has seen my car yet, despite travelling to customers for years. Would they even care?"

Same here, in 13 years only 2 clients have ever seen my car and that was when I was giving them a lift to the railway station because it was raining and they were very grateful for the ride.
Transport for Environmental Executives - Carse
Lexus GS450h for me

Carse
These guys are not actually in the environment industry, though, they are in the recruitment sector, so really does it matter? I used to recruit in the international capital markets sector, but I didn't drive a Porsche, and nor do many of my former customers, any more!

Edited by oldnotbold on 01/10/2008 at 17:15

Transport for Environmental Executives - teabelly
They shouldn't go anywhere by car; then they'll see how ridiculous it is to force modal shift on the rest of us. Only cars they should use should be taxis and even then when only every other PT choice is exhausted. After suffering extreme hardship, inconvenience and missed appointments hopefully these environmental recruiters will stop this sanctamonius nonsense and make sure the people they recruit live in the real world. As we are in a recession the less money is spent on pointless jobs the better so I suggest not to recruit any recruiters at all and save the environment by not sending them round the country looking for more pointless people to take up vital resources that could be spent on useful work ;-) perhaps they could go litter picking while they were out if they want to make some of the work purposeful? :-)

Transport for Environmental Executives - JH
One of those buses with "Executive Travel" written on the side, obviously! :-)
JH
Transport for Environmental Executives - Kevin
>some guys launching a new venture. They are very experienced in the recruitment industry and the new
>business will be placing staff in all sorts of roles within the environmental sector.

They are starting a recruitment agency when business conditions are being compared with the 30's depression?

An "Environmental" recruitment agency?

It's not as if recruitment will be a thriving industry over the next couple of years. Isn't it a bit early to start thinking about what 'executive' cars they should be driving? Maybe a 2CV would be more appropriate?

Until things pick up I suspect that the only environmental recruiting that most businesses will be doing is for fly-tippers.

Kevin...