Where are all the Transport Museums located? - movilogo
Where are all the transport museums located in UK? [not just cars, but trains, planes etc.]

I have visited following so far.

Transport Museum in Glasgow (free entry and good collection)
London transport museum (disappointed after seeing the one in Glasgow - ~£7 entry fee)
National Railway Museum in York (free - excellent collection)
Imperial War Museum in London (free & good collection)
RAF Museum London - free & good collection

Where are the others worth visiting?

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Mapmaker
The London Transport museum reserve collection in Acton is open a couple of times a year and is supposed to be much better than the interactive-child-friendly setup in Covent Garden www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/86.aspx

Boat museum, Ellesmere Port - some nice engines and lots of nice boats.

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Hamsafar
Crich www.tramway.co.uk/
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - John R @ Work {P}
Leyland Lancashire
bcvm.co.uk/index.htm

John R
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Alby Back
Museum of Science and Technology in Manchester is an interesting half day out.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Paul G1pdc
www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/

www.beaulieu.co.uk/

duxford.iwm.org.uk/

are all worth a go....the war and peace is a 5 day show....and if you like your "transport" in any colour as long as its green!!! you'll love it....

paul.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - martint123
When you were in York you could have also visited the Yorkshire Air Museum.
www.yorkshireairmuseum.co.uk/
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - tyro
Ulster Folk and Transport Museum - just outside Belfast.

www.uftm.org.uk/

Visited by me many decades ago when I was a lad - hence I can't really comment on its merits today.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - b308
Coventry is a must - very good collection, based on cars from that area, free and has Thrust 1 and Thrust SSC, including a simulator with one supersonic run which is also free!

Also Gaydon just down the M42/40.

Manchester has a Science Museum which is good, but in Brum they've regretably replaced the excellent Science Museum with an expensive Think Tank!!

I always find that the Museums like the Black Country and Beamish are worth it, especially if they have a car or vehicle rally on at the same time...
I forgot, the Donnington Collection's suposed to be good for motor racing, though I've yet to get to it...
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Altea Ego
Cobham bus museum
www.lbpt.org/

Brooklands Museum
www.brooklandsmuseum.com/
I forgot the Donnington Collection's suposed to be good for motor racing though I've yet
to get to it...

It is very good, I showed my son the evolution of F1 cars there. Fascinating.
Yes, AE, I really must go to Donnington!!
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - JH
I can vouch for Donnington, very good indeed.

Don't miss the Haynes motor museum in Somerset. You could get your car MOT'd while you go round!

www.haynesmotormuseum.com/museum/index.html

JH

Edited by JH on 29/09/2008 at 19:57

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - tyro
You could get your car MOT'd while
you go round!

Or serviced, I see.

Has anyone here actually used them? One would expect that they would do about as good a job as anyone in the country.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - borasport20
Liverpool - Merseyside Maritime Museum (website seems to be down at the moment).
Also Liverpool Museum used to include bits of spacecraft and the last (or was it first ?) Anglia 105E, etc, but I haven't been since it was moved and 'rebranded' World Museum Liverpool

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - mikeyb
Bristol Industrial Museum was good, but is currently being rebuilt. Had lost of stuff on boats, supersonic travel, Bristol buses etc. Should be good when it reopens, and was free before so hopefully will be when reopened.

Perhaps a little off topic, but the Haynes Motor Museum in Sparkford, Somerset is worth a trip

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - fordprefect
Not sure if it is still there but there was a museum in Exhibition Park in Newcastle with a lot of military vehicles.

The tank museums at Bovingdon and Muckleburgh in Norfolk are also worth a visit when you are near either.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - PoloGirl
Milestones in Basingstoke - not strictly a transport museum but they do have all the old fire engines/thornycroft vehicles there and some sort of steam rally a couple of times a year.

There's also a great old fashioned sweetshop and a fascinating camera shop within the old fashioned street scene.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - L'escargot
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire. tinyurl.com/5yoyes

Imperial War Museum, Duxford tinyurl.com/yoblxc

Edited by L'escargot on 29/09/2008 at 18:26

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Roger Jones
National Association of Road Transport Museums:

www.nartm.org.uk/

RAF museums:

www.rafmuseum.org.uk/

Edited by Roger Jones on 29/09/2008 at 18:55

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Dynamic Dave
Dunsfold Landrover Collection.

www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - ifithelps
I once went to a party in the London Transport museum in Covent Garden - the organisers had hired the place for the evening.

We were told to hang our coats in one of the Routemasters and then largely left to get on with it.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - JH
if
so your current transport is congestion charge exempt? :-)

Keeping an open mind on "transport" there's the boat museum at Ellesmere Port.

JH
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - redviper
Britsh Heritage motor museum, near stratford, we had a brilliant day out there

www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - bintang
Holker Hall, Cartmel, south of Lake Windermere. Has Malcolm/Duncan Campbell exhibits well as cars and fascinating 1930s garage display. Superb cafeteria and extensive grounds for children to let off steam. Will move to a bigger site nearer the Lake fairly soon.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Group B
The Science Museum in London has some vehicular exhibits.
www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/galleries.aspx

I think the transport section only has a few cars in it; but there is a seperate section on flight. On the third floor I could have spent an hour just looking at the racks full of big old aircraft engines (mainly piston but some jets). My other half was obviously bored to tears!
The Science Museum in London has some vehicular exhibits.

Yes, it's quite good and free admission!

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - deepwith
Beaulieau, obviously, and Sammy Miller's Motorcycles in New Milton.
There was Bournemouth Aviation museum at Hurn, on the Bournemouth Airport site, which closed last year when the land was reclaimed for commercial use.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - nick
This place is wonderful, at least it was a few years ago when I last visited.
www.cotswold-motor-museum.co.uk/index.php
A couple of smaller ones, perhaps worth a visit if you are in the area? Depending on how much of an enthusiast you are:

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Museum, East Kirkby.
www.lincsaviation.co.uk/home.cfm
I visited it when there was a classic car show on one summer, years ago. Can't remember there being that much there, but they have a Lancaster which taxis down the runway on selected days. You can even ride in it, for a price.

If you are into trains - Barrow Hill Roundhouse, near Chesterfield. www.barrowhill.org/
IMHO its worth a visit when they do the annual 'Rail Ale' beer festival. ;o)
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - SpamCan61 {P}
>>
There was Bournemouth Aviation museum at Hurn on the Bournemouth Airport site which >>closed last year when the land was reclaimed for commercial use.

At least they've got planning permission to plonk some planes and portakabins in the car park for 'Adventure Wonderland' opposite the airport:-/

www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/search/display.var.24275...p

Southampton hall of aviation is pretty good IMHO:-

www.spitfireonline.co.uk/ (caution gimmicky website)

Then there's one at Tangmere:-

www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/

Going up country and changing to trains there's the NRM's site at Shildon:-

www.nrm.org.uk/collections/locomotion.asp
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - deepwith
Thanks Andy - had missed that (don't often read the Echo).
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - NorfolkDriver
Dont forget the Museum of the Broads, has a few old boats in there. Its near Stalham, Norfolk.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - theterranaut
Funny you should mention the Transport Museum in Glasgow. I was there at lunchtime for a wander, I work 15 minutes away from it. Reminds me of a story:

I once knew a lady, married to a policeman, who sadly became widowed. Husband
had been friendly with a member of the police force in East Germany.
Over time, she and the German policeman became friends, and then a romance began.
This must have been difficult, of course, and was largely conducted by letter.

Although he was fairly high-ranking in the police force, a car for personal use was hard to come by- estimates of years to wait due to the poor supply of vehicles. However, after a few years of waiting, his Trabant was ready...

and oddly enough, he took delivery of it not long before the Berlin Wall fell. So off he went to Glasgow by 'car' to visit his paramour- and took the time when over here to donate the Trabi to the museum.

Its still there, in all its glory. Lovely lady, haven't seen her for a few years, hope she (and he) are still with us.

Another anecdote- the Strathclyde Police Granada on exhibit was driven by my FIL when he was a CI in Motherwell Traffic.
tt
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Nsar
There is a modest transport museum next to the East Lancs Steam Railway in Bury. Combine with a trip to the famous market and you've got the other half of the day to the Science Museum in Manchester which is excellent.

Really stretching the definition there is the Lawnmower Museum in Southport. Can't say I've been but I dare say there area few sit-ons.

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Manatee
>>Holker Hall, Cartmel, south of Lake Windermere.

If, as we were, you are on holiday in the Lakes and your better half wants to look at gardens, this is a good one - I arrived ready to spend two hours patiently walking behind, and spent it in the museum instead.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Manatee
Bradford Industrial Museum has quite a few vehicles (inc buses).

www.bradfordmuseums.org/industrialmuseum/exhibitio...m

Bradford is the birthplace of the Jowetts, and they have a Jupiter - the only musey room where I can remember seeing one.

www.flickr.com/photos/christopherhester/sets/72157.../
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Harleyman
Whilst you're at Donington, nip down the road To this one;

www.nthc.co.uk/

This is the Northen end of the Great Central Railway, arguably one of the finest preserved railways in the country. Excellent collection of vintage buses.

BTW, up until 22nd October the Loughborough end of the GCR is host to "Tornado", the first main line locomotive to be built in the Uk since "Evening Star" in 1960.

saw that thing being built, it's awesome.

FWIW I much prefer working railways, etc to static museums. I went to York once, beautiful stuff but somehow it's not the same when they're just sitting there.

Edited by Harleyman on 30/09/2008 at 23:35

FWIW I much prefer working railways etc to static museums.

Working locos on preserved lines can reduce me to tears of despair and frustration. Try riding behind an A4 pacific at 30 mph on a preserved line. Its feels strangled, rough, a caged beast.

Ride behind the same engine at 100mph on mainline - Now THAT is working.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Harleyman
Did a season firing at North Yorkshire Moors.

1 in 49 from a standing start with eight on; that ain't exactly a skive either!

Know what you mean though; some of the preserved lines (Kent and East Sussex, NYMR, Severn Valley) have the gradients to make their locos work a little; just like old cars, a bit of a thrash every now and then doen't do them any harm, in fact it does a bit of good!
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - XantKing
Couple more north of the border, although not necessarily based on the car, and not always open all year round.

Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust mostly provide a home for buses in various states of preservation, more of a working garage for restorers than an actual museum, but they have a very popular open day with vintage buses running from the town centre and the city's main transport museum to their premises in Bridgeton in the East End of the city. Funnily enough, that open day is less than two weeks away, on Oct 12th:

www.gvvt.org/index.html

Also mainly focussed on buses is the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, based in Lathalmond, near Dunfermline. They're open most Sundays from Apr-Oct, with special bus running days and other occasional events:

www.busweb.co.uk/svbm/

Not so specifically transport, but with many transport items, and a running tramway, the Summerlee Heritage Museum in Coatbridge has only just re-opened after a two year refurbishment, and charts the industrial heritage of North Lanarkshire, Monklands and the central belt of Scotland. Looks to be quite a place now:

tinyurl.com/46ausb

Finally, slightly more tenuous, but anyone with an interest in vintage farm vehicles should visit the National Museum of Rural Life in Kittochside, near East Kilbride - nice collection of tractors, combines and other agricultural vehicles:

www.nms.ac.uk/museumofrurallifehomepage.aspx

One final thing, Glasgow is currently building a new transport museum down by the Clyde, so anyone wanting to see it before it gets interactive and funky the way modern museums do should make haste!
Errm, how about Toy Museums??

There's one under the station at Brighton which is devoted almost entirely to "transport" toys, loads of cars, trains, boats and airplanes all in one place... doesn't 'alf take you back!!

www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index.html

Edited by b308 on 01/10/2008 at 09:42

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Dipstick
If transport is defined as a vehicle for moving people or goods, then you could do worse than the very enjoyable Leicester Space Museum, which has the added advantage of a most impressive Victorian Pumping Station nearby too.

Errm, how about Toy Museums??

Problem with toy museums is that visiting of any big toy shop (eg Hamleys) is usually more enjoyable :)

Off topic:

I wonder why Lego has stopped producing wonderful Technic sets like 8880 super car, 8448 street car sensation, 8479 barcode truck etc. Most current Lego sets are rubbish.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - TonyJ
North of the Border again - dont think anyone has mentioned the Museum of Flight, East Lothian. A Vulcan & a Concorde amongst others.
And for toys - Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh - why do they have Dinky toys like mine in a museum?
Problem with toy museums is that visiting of any big toy shop (eg Hamleys) is
usually more enjoyable :)

Nooo, its much more fun seeing the stuff you used to play with when you were a kid... I just get depressed in toy shops by the prices!
Nooo its much more fun seeing the stuff you used to play with when you
were a kid...

I get that terrible feeling of wanting to re-buy some of the things I had as a kid (I just manage to resist). Had some great Dinky cars, lorries and tanks, many of which were lost, broken or mum gave them away when I left home.
And my early 70s Goldfinger Aston DB5 - why did I paint it in garish Humrol blue enamel?

Die cast cars were much better quality when I was a kid than they are now..
Re the other point I suspect that its to do with the general "dumbing down" of toys these days - same has happened to Meccano.

I remember watching a recent programme on toys by James May where he gave a load of the old style meccano bits and a picture of a crane and asked them to build it - none of them even got close... I know that in our days at school we'd have been able to make it - kids back then were more "practical" with their hands, nowadays its all "plug and play" and if it gets too technical they move off...
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - SpamCan61 {P}
Yes, I'll second that, my 5 year old son is just getting into Lego and is mad on farm machinery, I've watched every 'tractor ted' video about 8 billion times. I knocked him up a reasonable looking combine harvester from scratch in about half an hour; my thirteen year old daughter was absolutley amazed I could make something from Lego with no instructions.
Well if you are in Northern Italy, can I suggest the Mille Miglia museum, Saint Eufemia just outside Brescia. A wonderful museum that not only celebrates the race(s) but also the politics and social & political scene around each race (fascinated Mrs AE) and not at all bashful about fascism and Mussolini. Suitably reverent about Stirling Moss's victory and of course a Mercedes 300sl on display. Out of season it was empty but had no cafe or restaurant open

www.museomillemiglia.it/defaulteng.asp

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - bananastand
St helens in Lancashire had a great bus museum, very big, run by volunteers. It shut down for yonks because of elf n safety, they couldn't afford a new roof or something. Kids could clamber onto 70's double deckers and mess with the pedals getting a tttsssssssss from the air brakes. anyone know if it's reopened?

I believe the anglia has gone from liverpool museum, as well as the entrance\at the top of the steps. Not inclusive enough. Further comments self-censored.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Haynes, the book publishers, have a car museum at Sparkford near RNAS Yeovilton

Imperial War Museum alternative collection at former RAF Wroughton

Imperial War Museum Duxford for aircraft.

Motor bike museum near Birmingham, lovingly restored after a really bad fire.

Heritage Centre at RAF Gaydon

Sorry if this duplicates other input, I couldn't wade thru the previous 50 posts to check!
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - rtj70
"Motor bike museum near Birmingham, lovingly restored after a really bad fire."

www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk

AS beat me to it - been there for business before and after the fire (events nothing to do with the location mind). First time was ages ago but included being allowed to wander.

There is a transport museum in Manchester. (www.gmts.co.uk )

Edited by rtj70 on 16/11/2008 at 21:20

Where are all the Transport Museums located? - grumpyscot
Myreton Motor Museum about 15 miles east out of Edinburgh towards North Berwick

www.aberlady.org/Myreton.html
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - tintin01
I don't know if these have been mentioned:

RAF Cosford - free entry, big museum with lots of planes, good Cold War exhibit, nice cafe:

www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/index.cfm

Coventry transport museum - again free, small cafe, lots of nice old cars to look at.

www.transport-museum.com/

Better still, get a £9 room at Travelodge and have a weekend away. Shrewsbury Bayston Hill is good - near the park and ride for town and go to Cosford the next morning.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Chas{P}
Shameless plug for the Cold War Jets Museum at Bruntingthorpe where I volunteer.

Home to Vulcan XH558 plus ground running Victor, Comet 4, 2 Lightnings, several Buccaneers, Hunter, Canberra, Jet Provost, etc.

This is the Youtube channel with further info: www.youtube.com/coldwarjets

Sadly not open to the public presently because of over 20,000 cars crammed in on site due to the state of car sales.
Where are all the Transport Museums located? - Garethj
The Stondon Transport Museum in Henlow, Bedfordshire is very good. Not very well organised, most of the cars are a bit dusty but there are lots and lots in there, and not the usual "museum" stuff either.
Shameless plug for the Cold War Jets Museum at Bruntingthorpe where I volunteer.
Home to Vulcan XH558 plus ground running Victor Comet 4 2 Lightnings several Buccaneers Hunter
Canberra Jet Provost etc.
This is the Youtube channel with further info: www.youtube.com/coldwarjets
Sadly not open to the public presently because of over 20 000 cars crammed in
on site due to the state of car sales.

How about a private tour for BR'ers then Chas? I am sure we would like to donate for it.