95 1.6LX Rear pads catching lip of worn rear disks - njwatts
I think this is what is causing my squeaky brakes.

How much should a garage charge me to replace the rear disks? (the pads are new - only done last week)

Is it possible to grind down the lip of the disk or is there another alternative?

Edited by Pugugly on 21/09/2008 at 23:52

95 1.6LX Rear pads catching lip of worn rear disks - Dynamic Dave
Is it possible to grind down the lip of the disk

Yes, provided they aren't worn down to the minimum recommended wear limit.

But by now I would have thought that the pads should have bedded themselves in and worn themselves to the contours/ridges of the old disks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/09/2008 at 01:21

95 1.6LX Rear pads catching lip of worn rear disks - Collos25
£35 for a set of rear discs and pads easy job to fit them.
replace rear brake disks - njwatts
How long would it take a novice mechanic like me to fit them?
What are the things to look out for/be careful of?

Thanks for advice.
replace rear brake disks - doctorchris
Assuming you are familiar with replacing front pads and discs, the main difference is that the piston in the brake calliper will need to be wound back rather than pushed back and a special tool will be required.
Now, I don't have personal knowledge of this job on a Primera but for most cars these days there is a device called a cube which costs about £5 and is used in conjunction with a 3/8in ratchet for this job.
If you replace the discs you obviously must replace the pads.
Doing this job for the first time would take you no more than the morning.
However, if you are a complete novice and are working without a workshop manual, I would think twice about working on braking systems. There are mistakes that can be made and these will have safety consequences.
replace rear brake disks - jag
if you are replacing the rear discs and your primera is a decent age/miles you will probably have to replace the calipers at the same time as they seize and stick on wearing the discs. £200 a side for parts last time i needed to do them.
replace rear brake disks - njwatts
if you are replacing the rear discs and your primera is a decent age/miles you
will probably have to replace the calipers at the same time as they seize and
stick on wearing the discs. £200 a side for parts last time i needed to
do them.

The car is very high mileage!

The rear brakes were cleaned & new pads put on by my local garage just last week so I hope that the calipers will hold up. Can you explain what it is about new disks that causes a risk of having to replace the calipers too?

replace rear brake disks - jag
it's not the new discs that cause the calipers to sieze but corrosion so if you fit new discs without replacing siezed calipers then the new discs will soon get worn as the caliper pistons stick in the on mode. you may be lucky and your calipers are perfectly ok. jag.