Franchise servicing - Ben 10
Read in the papers today that by 2010, franchised dealerships will not have to provide independent service garages with parts or codes on demand. This means we will all have to use franchises and pay through the nose for servicing.

I thought this had be regulated by the EU so that the main dealership could not hold a monopoly on servicing, making it fairer all round.

It appears they have retracted this decision. Not only will this decision close many independent garages and fuel the dole queue but also mean the sale of sub standard pirate parts.
Franchise servicing - Dulwich Estate
Yup! And they wonder why Joe Public isn't a fan of the EU.

The pretend do-gooders in the EU screwed up the allocation of footy on TV too. Sky had the virtual monopoly, so to bring about good old competition and to attempt to REDUCE PRICES for the TV fan they banned Sky from bidding for all of the TV footy packages. So, Setanta picked up a package or two and now the TV fan pays EXTRA (maybe £14 per month) if he wants his full football fix.

The non-elected self-serving gravy-train indulging EU members didn't cancel that arrangement and I don't suppose common sense will prevail on the decision to cut out independent repairers either.

More: Ireland voted against the latest "treaty". What do they do at the EU? Carry on regardless.

Why do we let it happen?
Franchise servicing - andyfr
Which papers did you read this in?

Edited by andyfr on 17/09/2008 at 11:39

Franchise servicing - Chris S
The Daily Sport?
Franchise servicing - FotheringtonThomas
Instead of just sneering at a) the OP, and b) "The Daily Sport", why not do your own search?

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motor...e
d108.xml

There I was thinking it wouldn't wrap.

tinyurl.com/55pscm

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 17/09/2008 at 14:25

Franchise servicing - Dulwich Estate
Exactly my point - nobody's interested and they get away with it. Be it on your own heads.
Franchise servicing - Ben 10
Thanks FT
Franchise servicing - kithmo
Read in the papers today that by 2010 franchised dealerships will not have to provide
independent service garages with parts or codes on demand. This means we will all have
to use franchises and pay through the nose for servicing.

Re-servicing, not really a problem, most service items are available from other sources such as motor factor etc. and some are of the same if not better quality than the OE.
Repairs are another matter, some parts are manufacturer only.