What price for this Polo? - Lucretia
I've been offered this at work:

black 1996 VW Polo 1.4CL
72000+
miles and has had the following work done.

New timing belt and water pump.
New carburettor.
Taxed until July 2009. Mot due Aug 2009.

Scratch marks on front n/s bumper.

£850 no less <- dunno if he means, he won't take anything less or not here.

Is this a good deal? What else should I look out for?

Thanks,
Luke.

Edited by Pugugly on 15/09/2008 at 19:21

What price for this Polo? - b308
My Polo 1.4L 1996 102k cost 500 two years ago - its overpriced, I'd say offer him 600... there are loads of cars in this price range and size just look in Autotrader for comparable and bear in mind that the asking prices in AT or only for starters!
What price for this Polo? - madf
Carburettor? Not fuel injection?
What price for this Polo? - Dulwich Estate
I'd not be too hasty in rejecting it if you know it's a good'un. If you know the seller and have a reasonable assurance that it's OK, then it might be better to pay £200 more than a blind buy from AutoTrader. You can lose £200 in the blink of an eye or a flash of your flexible card if your "blind" buy needs tyres, service etc. etc.

On a personal note, SWMBO had a 1995 Polo in dark green (did they make any other colour that year?!?) from new. The list of what went wrong with it is longer than what didn't. I now wouldn't go near one myself.
What price for this Polo? - DP
I had one of these, 98 on an R plate. Owned by in-laws from new, 50k, full service history etc etc.

This remains, by a country mile, the most unreliable car I've ever owned. PAS leaks, water ingress, electrical faults, rattles, squeaks, burned oil like an old boiler, and the arches were rotting badly at 6 yrs old. It was also dull as ditchwater to drive. None of the pep and charm of a good small car, but none of the build quality or refinement of a bigger one.

I couldn't believe how easily I sold it (with most of these faults) either. People are drawn to that VW badge at the total expense of everything else. Half the car the mkIV Fiesta is and twice the price.
What price for this Polo? - oldnotbold
I sold the MiL's Polo, £1550 for a 98S auto 1.4, very tidy, one owner. But it was not very nice to drive, lacked power, engine a bit buzzy, and a rather poor, jiggly ride.

Loads of interest, but really I can't imagine why. It wasn't even that well-made.
What price for this Polo? - Jamesh266
As an ex-Polo owner, I second the above. It was not nice to drive or reliable, but it was cheap and simple to repair and very easy to sell as soon as I could afford something better.

£850 seems a lot for a P reg car, and a car of that age should not have a carburettor. Maybe they mean the SPI injector turret thing.

Without wishing to be a nay-saying prophet of doom, buying or selling a car from someone you know can lead to awkwardness later on down the line if anything goes wrong with it.
What price for this Polo? - Lucretia
I don't actually know the person selling it. He just works for the same place (big place).

Luke.