Help! Has my friend been scammed? - Kadriver
A friend has just bought a second hand car from a independent dealer.
She has not been given any of the v5, and doesnt remember much apart from signing quite a few bits of paper. She does have a 12 month mot certificateand purchase invoice but strangely no part of the v5 document
Apparantly when the dealer took the car to be taxed the dvla took all of the v5 form and have said they will reissue it all in her name to be sent to her.
They dealer said they will send the service history etc in the post as they are updating it on the database.
To me this sounds a very strange way of going about selling a car. Could there be any truth in it or has she been scammed.
The dealer is well known and a fairly large dealership but something seems a bit odd about how they have gone about sorting the matter.
I think my friend has been a bit silly by not asking enough questions and hopefully she hasnt bought a car that wasnt rightly for sale.
Any thoughts?
Help! Has my friend been scammed? - b308
I reckon she'll be ok - especially as they are a "large dealership" and she has the invoice and MOT. I assume the car has full tax and the date on the disc is very recent? If so I'd relax if I were her!
Help! Has my friend been scammed? - oldnotbold
I doubt it's a scam, but it's a bit poor. The SH should be in the car, and the buyer should get the green slip from the V5.

Is it an automatic? Might it have been tax-free for a Motability user, and so has to have a change of taxation class? Would explain something, perhaps.
No i dont think its an automatic. So no changes required. I always thought you got to keep the green slip.
Im just hoping its more of a case of the people involved making a bit of a mess of the situation rather than it being a scam
Help! Has my friend been scammed? - Dwight Van Driver
Seller should have given buyer Section 10 (V5C/2) until such time as DVLA send new VC5 in her name and it can also be used for 2 months to tax a vehicle. Seller should have sent rest of VE5 to DVLA.

To cover oneself in notication of change of ownership I would consider sending DVLA a billy do as to what has happned and details of the new owner.

dvd
Help! Has my friend been scammed? - Alanovich

Might it have been tax-free for a Motability user

>>
Ah ha! I was just starting to get tetchy about a car I bought 6 or so weeks ago, as I didn't get any part of the V5 with it from the dealer (main Fiat and Nissan dealer in Leicester) and the V5 still hasn't appeared from the DVLA.

However, the car's previous (sole) owner was on Motability, so does this explain the delay? And if so, how?

Apologies to the OP if this is a thread hijack.
Just asked my friend and she says he said something about the tax being disabled. Dont know if this is what the other posters mentioned regarding a disabled driver?
Help! Has my friend been scammed? - Screwloose

Wouldn't worry about the V5 if the dealer taxed it - DVLA will soon send the updated one.

The fact that the service history was withheld would worry me far more....
Apparantly the service history will be sent out as soon as it is updated (something to do with it have a new radio put in i think). But yes that concerned me also.
Help! Has my friend been scammed? - *Gongfarmer*
If a car is used by a Disabled driver who receives Mobility allowance than they are entitled to free car tax and the registration class has PLG deleted from it. Consequently it should be ammended back if the car reverts to an able bodied user.