02 1.6 Misfire - advice needed! - ThePuffPastryHangman
Hi, I would be very grateful if anyone could have a read and offer any advice.

A few nights ago I pulled away from the lights and suddenly just lost power, the car started jolting and shaking etc., and the engine warning light came on. When I took the car to my local garage the next day he/the computer diagnosed a misfire on the number 3 cylinder which he said could be down to the spark plugs and plug leads needing to be replaced or the coil pack. The plugs and leads being the cheaper option he did this.

After I picked the car up it was miles better but when I put my foot to the floor there still seems to be a hesitation/power loss but the engine light isn't on. I've spoken to the garage and he says to run it over the weekend to see if there's any change and if not bring it in and they'll put it back on the computer to see if anything comes up.

Is it likely to be a problem with the coil pack, or does anyone have any other ideas/advice? It would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
02 1.6 Misfire - advice needed! - Screwloose

Your garage is going the right way; if leads and plugs don't fix it, then there is a high probability that a failing coilpack is at the root of the problem.

I'd use it as little as possible; back-spiking of the ECU is common.
Ok, thanks for the advice.
Ok, following on from the above post, I have now been told a new coil pack is required. My garage have told me they can get an after-market coil pack for about £45 or a Ford one for about £90 but have recommended the Ford one as after-market ones are apparently renowned for failing.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this sounds right and is it better to pay the extra money? And how long should it take to replace a coil pack approx.? Any help much appreciated, cheers.
02 1.6 Misfire - advice needed! - Screwloose

Yes; that sound pretty much spot-on.

I'd always fit the genuine article - takes around 10 minutes.