Upright small and safe - Penport
Well SWMBO has persuaded me to change her ageing Astra for something 2-3 yrs old. After years of pootling (?) around town in a nervous sort of way she's faced with a daily commute of 50 miles and isn't looking foward to it one little bit.
Her criteria are that it has to have good visibility, high encap rating, 5 doors and be easy to manouevre and park. Budget around £6K. Performance not an issue but a bit of quality wouldn't go amiss.
Shortlist so far includes Yaris and A-Class.
Any other suggestions ?
TIA
Upright small and safe - TrevorP
Skoda Fabia.

Came second to Yaris in Supermini section of this year's J D Power survey, AND was one of only SIX 5-star cars in overall reults.

Personally, having compared the 2, I think the Fabia is better than the Yaris for these reasons:- better ride, better seats and speedo in front of you.
Really?

My aged parents think it's wonderful.

I did not notice the "disabled" clause in the original question.
Upright small and safe - Penport
OK guys - I knew HJ would endorse the Yaris
There's no orange badge to stick on a Fabia

How about some other suggestions ?
Upright small and safe - Tabs
I've been using a new diesel Fabia estate as a taxi now for 5 weeks. It's brilliant! I've had no complaints from elderly people regarding access, in fact because they sit more upright they seem to step out, rather than heave themselves out. It wouldn't be very good as a 'night shift car', because you tend to pick up more groups of 4 then, and it would be too small in the rear. As a 'day' car, it's very nimble, and easy to drive, once you get the hang of the throttle! A fast cross country bash shows up a very heavy front end; is the front suspension uprated to cope with the extra diesel weight? I suspect not. I've only 2 other complaints; the speedo doesn't show 30,50 or 70, because it goes up evenly, and the seat height handle is easily caught as I exit, altering the adjustment. Score 9 out of 10!
Upright small and safe - malteser
The Fabia TDI is great! & it comes with lots of goodies too -ABS, ESR, on board computer, discs all round, adjustable steering wheel etc. I live in Spain & we have many "mountain roads" - Spanish speak for VERY twisty & narrow -and I find the PAS good. The ABS saved us from a nasty N340,("most dangerous road in Europe"),incident when an idiot driving instructor spun his Peugeot two cars in front of us thereby blocking the overtaking lane! Fuel economy is working out at about 5.2litres per 100 km & the performance & acceleration is excellent. A good choice
PLUS the very latest VW PD engine - only now going in the new Polo.
Upright small and safe - malteser
Yep & mine has aircon too! Cost 2,400,000 pesetas last year- sounds a lot but = 14425 of those funny euro thingys or about £9K at the then rate of exchange! Oh yes - the licence fee, known as circulation tax, (paid to your local Town Hall), is about £48 a year! Diesel is around 46 pence per litre!Eat yer hearts out UK! Cheers from Sunny Spain
Nissan Micra?