02 1.9 130 TDi turbo loosing power - SCraven
My 52 plate golf Tdi 130Bhp keeps loosing power to the turbo when i am driving at constant speed around 70mph. No warning lights come on and as soon as i switch the ignition off and back on again its back to normal. I have had it in the garage and they said they replaced some sort of meter and tightened a hose but driving home from the garage it happened again. The car is under warranty from the garage so taking it back this week but they seem bit stumped on what the problem is. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems and could give me some advice on what the problem might be?

Cheers

Simon
02 1.9 130 TDi turbo loosing power - Screwloose
Simon

The MIL light doesn't come on?? That key-cycle re-set, sounds remarkably like it's dropping to limp-home - when the light should definitely come on?

Does the engine light come up at key-on and then go off as normal? [Or has it been "got-at?"]

What fault-codes were recorded?

Edited by Screwloose on 31/08/2008 at 18:38

I am not sure what fault codes were recorded i forgot to ask.

I have just been and started my car and no engine light comes on, not noticed this before. When you say "got at" im guessing this is a bad sign?>> Simon

Yes; either the last owner or the selling garage has doctored the pod to stop the MIL light showing - to go to those lengths would tend to suggest they were masking an expensive problem.

Nobody wants to fix faults anymore; by quite a sizeable majority, my customers just get shot instead - which is probably why there are so many faulty cars for sale.

Ask the garage for the codes that were stored and those should give a clue to the fault.
Thank you for your reply, that doesnt sound good. Ill get onto the garage tomorrow for the fault codes. Is there any chance the bulb has blown in the warning light or am i in for some expensive shocks?
SC

I've never known a bulb to fail on it's own.....

RR

Yes of course it's very likely to be 17965. That's what I'm, systematically, trying to confirm.

However; I don't put forward wild guesses without a single scrap of hard evidence to back them up. There are a lot of other possibilities for a fault like this and confusing the OP, before the facts are fully known and all the elimination tests are done, doesn't help.
02 1.9 130 TDi turbo loosing power - Railroad.
The problem is the turbo vanes sticking which creates an overboost situation. The ECU senses this condition and backs the pump off to prevent damage to the engine. This commonly occurs on VAG models that have done low mileage, and/or never driven hard. You can often clean the affected parts although it's quite a job, but a new turbo is what you're most likely to get.

When you do get it back don't drive it like a nun. Give it some welly occasionally at least.

It's worth checking this link below.....

pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Drivbiwire_VNT_repair_pr...f