MOT preperations - what do you do? - Tron
Well, that time of the year is here again - MOT time.

I have spent most of my spare time this week, cleaning, checking & replacing anything that I can find that I know a vehicle will fail an MOT on.

Last year I was advised (I do a lot of fishing) that if my vehicle had of been any muddier underneath - they would have refused to test it - so all the wheels have been off and a low pressure water jet has been used to clean the under chassis.

All of the brakes have been stripped, cleaned, re assembled and the handbrake has been adjusted too.

Within the engine compartment, the plugs & the air filter have been out and cleaned and the engined compartment has been 'mizzed' and low pressure cold water jet cleaned. All connections have been 'opened' and 'resealed' using Swarfega Duck oil as it is far better (smells nicer too!) than WD40 I think!

I have also 'degreased' the windscreen and used Isopropanol alchohol to clean the rubbers on the windscreen wipers of grease etc build up.

I was going to polish it today too - but it has started to rain & heavy...

...so I am now on the interior 'valet' stage!

I do all of this at least twice a year because I know doing so allows me to inspect the vehicle for defects outside of the servicing schedule.

MOT preparations - what do you do? - Brian Tryzers
Erm...make appointment; drive to test station; go for a walk; collect car and certificate. Never realized there was so much to it!

}:---)
MOT preparations - what do you do? - madf
Check the lights and indicators work. Drive to garage.
Walk home.
When I get call from garage, walk to collect car and MOT certificate and pay the bill.

It's a Toyota.

Edited by madf on 31/08/2008 at 17:50

MOT preparations - what do you do? - quizman
I am like WillDeBeest. My car is looked after the whole year, not just the few days before an MOT. I drive in, watch them do it and go home with the pass certificate.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2008 at 19:30

MOT preparations - what do you do? - Tron

All year round maintenance here - I do easily 35+k miles pa.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2008 at 19:31

MOT preparations - what do you do? - ifithelps
My MOT is timed to coincide with the annual service, so both are done together.

I do clean the car inside and out before taking it in.
MOT preparations - what do you do? - wotspur
I have the car serviced shortly before the MOT.
Then I take my car to an independant MOT garage, they do nothing else.
if it should fail, I'd be straight back to the garage asking them why and to sort it out FOC and to cover the costs accordingly -
I don't trust "joint ventures"
MOT preparations - what do you do? - Pugugly
Two "sniping" posts edited in response to complaints - please desist, there are long standing members that find this tedious - it also creates more work for mods. If you have an issue with someone's posting, report it in accordance with the site policies then we shall intervene. This is an innocuous thread of interest to most of us. Keep it civilized.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2008 at 19:38

MOT preparations - what do you do? - Alby Back
Another vote for ongoing maintenance. I would be very disappointed and not a little surprised if any of my cars failed. A "stitch in time" and so on....
MOT preparations - what do you do? - zookeeper
if you have a haynes manual they have a section in the book about pre MOTchecks
MOT preparations - what do you do? - gordonbennet
I'd be upset if any of my cars failed an MOT test on any day of the year, the test really is only a minimum standard.

Pity that vosa don't have more roadside spot checks, some right dodgy motors about, followed a newish MB a little while ago, both rear tyres were at least 50% bald, need more proper plod and fewer cash cameras.

Zookeeper..off topic, sorry, but did you ever have any joy with sorting out that prang with the foreign truck?
Zookeeper..off topic sorry but did you ever have any joy with sorting out that prang
with the foreign truck?

thanks for asking gb, i had a phone call from the people at the MIB about a month ago to tell me that they were "making progress with the claim" but its still fingers crossed at the moment, thanks for asking anyway...cheers, zoo
MOT preparations - what do you do? - gordonbennet
thanks for asking gb i had a phone call from the people at the
MIB about a month ago to tell me that they were "making progress

I've always wondered how folks got on in these cases, goodness knows i see enough cars damaged by foreign trucks on my travels, always thought it would be a major pita.
Best of luck with it though...
MOT preparations - what do you do? - Bill Payer
I have the car serviced shortly before the MOT.

That's great if the garage does old fashioned servicing, but modern "servicing", per manufacturers schedule, is generally little more than oil and filter change, and a few visual checks.

I fell foul of that on daughter's SEAT when the car was serviced and then MOT's by the dealer, only to fail on uneven rear brake application. The fix was to clean and lubricate them - but that's not part of modern servicing, so it's an extra (chargeable) job.

What's worrying, assuming this is a real fault, is that without the MOT brake test the dealer would have sent the car out as "serviced" but with brakes that were bad enough to fail the MOT.

What's worrying assuming this is a real fault is that without the MOT brake test
the dealer would have sent the car out as "serviced" but with brakes that were
bad enough to fail the MOT.

but you said earlier in the post that the dealers service didnt include the brakes?
MOT preparations - what do you do? - Bill Payer
but you said earlier in the post that the dealers service didnt include the
brakes?

I think most people would assume that if you take a car to a main dealer (or indeed any garage) for an annual service, then a brake "fault" sufficient to cause MOT failure, would be noted and reported.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - mfarrow
I do nothing to the car until after the MoT apart from a cursory glance underneath and a lamp test - there's no point replacing fluids until you know you don't have to drain/bleed them again to fix something.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Hamsafar
I just check the lights as it would be silly to fail on something so simple.
I do check everything else like tyres continually and keep them to MOT standard throughout they year.

When I was young, I used to go over everything and they always failed on something petty, It must have looked suspicious.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Cymrogwyllt
nothing special. day to day checks reduce the risk of 'idiot fails'. on the occasion that a number plate light mysteriously failed between the check and test they simply changed the bulb and passed it. 50p. same when a poorly laminated rear number plate was 'iffy' . after consultation they changed it charging far less than most places. Might have something to do with it is that I have bought cars from them for 20+ years. They have also given me the 'heads up' about potentially expensive things on the horizon giving me the time to decide 'fix or get rid'.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Paddler Ed
Clean everything; check all the lights (replace anything that needs doing) check tyres and have a quick check over.

I tend to clean my car about once a month completely, and check the tyres on a frequent basis. Unfortunately my services don't coincide with my MOT... I had my car serviced at the end of May, and am now 2/3rds of the way towards the next service...
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Happy Blue!
Apart from a nick in the sidewall of a tyre which required a replacement, I cannot remember the last time a car of mine failed an MOT test. And I do nothing other than take the car in.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - martint123
I wouldn't dream of paying for a service before an MOT or spending much money on it.
If it fails then it may have to get scrapped so it would be money down the drain.

Kidding really - last old banger yes, not the current one. It's the imponderables like emissions and difficult to spot stuff like the brake hose going over the top of the petrol tank that give me sleepless nights ;)

MOT preperations - what do you do? - Kevin
The Jag gets a free MOT at the annual service. The only things I check are silly things like number plate bulbs that aren't monitored by the warning system and the dealer would probably charge me £10 to replace.

The Chevy is a bit more tedious.

The front sidelights are incorporated into the turn signal housing which have amber lenses. The MOT specifies that front sidelights must be white and for some reason I have never really got to the bottom of, the testing station I've used will not accept dipped beam as equivalent to sidelights. ie. I can't bridge the sidelight circuit to the dipped beam circuit. I never use sidelights on their own.

I therefore have to fit forward facing white lights spliced into the sidelight circuit. It's only a ten minute job to fit them and then remove them but it's something I'd rather not do.

I really must see if I can find white lenses and then fit amber bulbs in the indicator section.

It's a pity the MOT doesn't test the visible discrimination of lights; then we'd get rid of the stupid rear LED clusters on recent VWs that make it almost impossible to see a turn signal if the driver is braking.

Kevin...
MOT preperations - what do you do? - spikeyhead {p}
I'm another that just drops his car off at the MoT station but I do keep my cars well maintained.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - henry k
I always give each car a wash and then check the easier bits ( on our cars):-
bulbs/lenses, washers/wipers, indicators, horn and tyres. Then hope the oily bits and brakes etc. are OK.

All three have or would have failed on suspension type bits at the last test.
I suspect it is the pot holes, ramps, humps and bumps on every trip we make that are the cause. We also have nasy expansion joints beween slabs in our road where some sections have sunk a couple of inches.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - DP
I have the same guy maintain and MOT my cars, and he's a family friend, so I tend to leave most of it to him these days. It's nice to have someone you can just leave a car with and say "do the necessary", knowing he's not going to pick faults or rip us off.

I sort out obvious stuff like blown bulbs and worn tyres as they come up, but anything else he usually picks up when he's doing a service, and will point them out in good time as a "bear in mind" or a "fix this now". He did a thorough check over for the upcoming test on the Scenic when he serviced it a fortnight ago, and didn't find anything of concern, so I will be fairly relaxed when I take it back to him in October. Apart from the diesel emissions test of course which still makes me cringe just to watch.

MOT preperations - what do you do? - menu du jour
Cross fingers - hope for the best.
screwtape
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Falkirk Bairn
Phone my local Indie - service and MoT@ end of Sept. Drop it off, pay bill on picking it up - he does the rest.

He charges £35 for MoT normally - he charges me £53 and knocks £20 off the service!

MoT is VAT free!
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Mapmaker
I have the car washed and vacuumed prior to the annual MOT. Always helps it pass.

MOT preperations - what do you do? - Altea Ego
MOT? whats that? when mine is due i get a new car.
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Pugugly
....and a name change.
--

Edited by Pugugly on 01/09/2008 at 21:27

MOT preperations - what do you do? - L'escargot
Prior to its combined MOT and annual service I don't give my car any special preparation. I check it weekly whatever the occasion.

Edited by L'escargot on 02/09/2008 at 09:02

It passed and with no advisory too!

But I have no 'real' idea what these readings mean:

Bosch non catalyst equipment.

Fuel type: LPG

Description.

CO 0.13 %vol
HC 235 ppm

Result: PASS.

Is that good or bad?

MOT preperations - what do you do? - FotheringtonThomas
CO 0.13 %vol
HC 235 ppm
Is that good or bad?

Aren't the upper limits printed on the ticket?
FT - - nope! All I have is a 'till like receipt' for the want of a better description!

It does say further down -

Summary Results:

Idle speed: Pass
Smoke level: Pass
CO (3.50): Pass
HC (1200) : Pass

Exhaust emissions test - Overall Results: PASS
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Bill Payer
Result: PASS.
Is that good or bad?

The clue is in the result. :-)
>> Result: PASS.
>> Is that good or bad?
The clue is in the result. :-)

But only IF you know what you are looking at... ;-)

A pass is a pass yes - but was it a clear pass or a just scrape through pass?

I am alphanumeric dyslexic by the way.

MOT preperations - what do you do? - Toaster
What I'm finding most frustrating (having done all my checks) is actually *finding* an MOT centre...

Long story: I live in Oxford, and last year used a local independent 5 mins from my office - helpful given the 'drop it off and we'll deal with it when we feel like it' approach that I've always had with MoT's (either main dealer or otherwise). It's a 53 plate Seat, and they called to explain that I had an £800 bill for a new exhaust, tyres, wiper blades, etc etc etc etc. Transpired the exhaust problem (resulting in them suggesting an entire unit be fitted) was a bracket, which fast fit round the corner removed and said it would pass - it did (for £200 of new tyres)...

Anyway - upshot is I'm trying to find somewhere that won't try and rip me off this year. I thought a few google searches, panning some forums etc, would turn something up. No. Nada. Nothing.

Where does everyone go?! Random locals? Anyone know any near / in Oxford per chance??!
MOT preperations - what do you do? - Pugugly
Why not try to get it tested at somewhere like a Local Authority site - totally objective testing. BT have a large compound a few miles away, they do them. Keeps the workshop warm !
Toaster - use the local council/VOSA operated one. These are the only people that now MOT test my vehicles. Honest and thorough they may be but at least I know I am not being fed a line to try and generate work for the workshops...

Contact here for the location of your MOT council run testing station:

Taxi Licensing Team
Ramsay House
10 St Ebbe's Street
Oxford
OX1 1PT
Tel: 01865 252115

MOT preperations - what do you do? - Toaster
Intriguing! Thanks for the suggestions - I've just emailed them to ask if they deal with public vehicles or only private hire, as the related web pages don't mention this. Will keep you posted!
MOT preperations - what do you do? - TimOrridge
waxoyl underneath covering those rusty/coredded bits (wishbones, pipes)
bulb check
wash clean

My cars never fail as I have a MOT-pre check for £10 before hand which avoids those red bits of papaer several weeks before