Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - JohnX
Hi all,
Had an unfortunate incident where I had scratched the bumper of my A6 against an A5 in the Audi showroom car park.

The showroom contacted their recommended repairers who mentioned a repair figure of

hold your breath

£1133 for the A5
and £1624 for the A6

Mine is a 3 year old car and Im not sure whether I should ask my insurers whether to go along with their recommended repairers ,or the Audi showrooms recommendation.

It doesnt make any difference to me in terms of the cost as it hits me anyway , but what I was concerned about is whether there would be any difference in the quality of repair, between the two repairers..

Picture attached thanks for your opinion.

I can attach the list of items that their repairer has suggested to be repaired, practically the whole of the L front side which sounds like a bit of an excess quote.

[IMG]i37.tinypic.com/2nc2c7b.jpg[/IMG]

Is this the reason why we all end up paying more insurance premiums as a knock on effect , ie the inflated repair bill figures?

Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - movilogo
Last year I had scrape in my car (no other car was involved). Went to a big garage and they quoted me £800 to repair.

Then get it done by an independent - total cost £120.

Edited by movilogo on 26/08/2008 at 15:04

Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - Gromit {P}
If you have a preferred repairer, discuss it with the insurer. My insurance co. are only too happy to have the punter select his own garage. Their assessor double-checks the cost of the repair and they hand over a cheque for the agreed cost when the work is done. Keeps them out of wrangles over the quality of work, I suppose.

Leave it to your insurer to decide on the A5's repair - they're the ones bearing the cost, and you can be sure their assessors will be skilled in getting the work done at a price they consider acceptable.
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - Peter S
Assuming the A5 is the silver one (I think it is...) if anything that quote looks cheap to me - definitely some pannel work required, and IMO more than a scratch...

The A6 also looks like a bit more than a scratch to me as well; the bumper is defintely damaged, headlight moved and so possible damage to the wing?

On the other hand I had a scrape on the bumper of my 3 month old A4, which was caused by my partner driving his A3 into the back of me :-(..., fixed at a reputable repairers (used by my Audi Centre) for under £300 as a non insurance job...

Peter
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - Roly93
This looks like moderattely serious damage on the A5, and it is possible that your car may need a new bumber. but it is hard to be sure from the photo. So whilst a bit 'toppy' this damage is more than just a scuff by a long margin.
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - MichaelR
You've damaged the most difficult panel to repair or replace on the entire A5 so frankly the costs look reasonable.
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - Altea Ego
>Had an unfortunate incident where I had scratched the bumper of my A6 against an A5 in the Audi showroom car park.

thats a very optomistic version of the term "scratch"
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - tr7v8
I quite agree, that's way beyond my definition of a scratch & must have made a significant noise. If you'd stopped when you first hit it it'd be a lot cheaper! I assume it would have set the alarm off on the A5.
I think the quote is quite cheap actually.
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - Oilyman
And if that panel IS replaced my name is Hertz Van Rental.

Edited by Oilyman on 26/08/2008 at 19:19

Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - rtj70
The repair cost on the A5 sound very cheap to me. My wife's Seicento once had damage in a car park on the same sort of place and that cost half of that. And I say again it was a Seicento.

As for the A6, looks like the headlight is now misaligned so damage to front more serious than a scratch.

Can you post another photo of the A6?
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - Hamsafar
The prices look about right to me based on experience of similar damage. Sure you can get it cheaper if just a single vehicle accident and you want to pay cash and not involve insurance, but I think this is beyond that.
Is this why Insurance Premiums are costlier? - krs one
Have you tried a bit of T-cut?