`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - oilrag
It seems a trend for new small cars to look like squatting toads, with the driver sitting pontificating in the centre, in the cab forward, high glass line, can`t see the bonnet style.

I can see how being at the centre of things like a plum baked in a pie, with no concern for what`s outside fits with the insularity of modern society, but has the simple joy of seeing a drop of rainwater rolling towards you on a waxed bonnet gone forever?
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Pugugly
What category does a Roomster fit in then ?! I have to agree though. I was eyeing up a V plated Skoda Octavia today - a very "pure" design....
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Alby Back
Followed a Skoda Octavia saloon or hatch sporty job today for a while "VRS"? Bright blue metallic. We were both making reasonably rapid but not very naughty progress up through some slower moving queues for about 20 or so miles. Seemed a pretty lively car. Wonder if they do an estate.............
www.skoda.co.uk/ourcars/octavia.aspx

Yes they do and a very convincing 170 bhp diesel or a 200 bhp (GTi) petrol.
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - gordonbennet
I'd be very wary when around those VRS thingy's Humph, regardless of body colour...
Some of them have many extra lights fitted in the grill and the rear window....;)

nick, nick, nick...
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Alby Back
Oh heck ! Guess his mirror must have been dirty today then ! ( Whistles off into background hands in pockets staring at feet )
A motor-cycling friend of a friend got stopped in North Wales (Porthmadog) by an unmarked VRS - can't remember the colour now though.
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Hugh Watt
but has the simple joy of seeing a drop of rainwater rolling towards you on
a waxed bonnet gone forever?

Dread prospect, Oilrag ... but there will always be that irregular drumming on the roof, as the windows slowly mist up and you're gazing out beyond the car park, plaid blanket across your knees... Oh to be in England.
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - oilrag
"What category does a Roomster fit in then ?! "

The Roomster is great in my book, function over form it seems to me PU, but with it`s own elegance because of that.

The new Jazz though?

Eddie, Don`t forget the flat cap. ;)
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Altea Ego
The Roomster is great in my book function over form it seems to me PU
but with it`s own elegance because of that.

Oh perlease, elegance because it has form and function? what pretentious poppycock. The roomster is a shed. It has all the abilities of a shed. Sheds are practical and immensly useful and pure in design, but elegant? non nein no.

An amdega conservatory is immensly useful, pure in design and has elegance. The Roomster is no Amdega.
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Andrew-T
>>An amdega conservatory is immensly useful, pure in design and has elegance.<<

A strange analogy. And a relative of mine found that parts of his Amdega, which was claimed to be 100% hardwood, were made of MDF. That took about a year to rectify.
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Lud
Heh heh, thought I'd find you here AE.

What's wrong with a toad squatting or otherwise in fluid dynamics terms? The thing has evolved as an amphibian and is seriously streamlined.

Heh heh AE.

'All automotive aesthetics involve a compromise with the ugly'. Discuss.
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - tinkerbell
Oh please,

I have a Skoda Roomster, as recommended by Honest John. It happens to be an excellent car, get over yourself, its not just about looks. It is well built, handles well and the Skoda dealerships are extremely courteous and not at all pretentious, unlike some other dealerships we could mention (VW, BMW et al). My husband recently had a BMW 5 series estate, hated it and has bought a Toyota instead. My Roomster will be up for sale soon as I now have to buy my own car, but I will probably be looking for a Toyota or a Ford. I used to have a Ford Puma, that has got to be one of the best buys ever. So no more calling the Roomster a shed, its well built, practical and safe, with an abundance of character.

`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - mike hannon
So why don't you buy one with your own money?
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - tinkerbell
I can't afford it. I only have £4,000 to spend and that is why I am also looking for some advice on another thread. I live down a farm track with many potholes on the track and also on the council-maintained roads. But cars are not just about looks, they are also about individuality. As I said I had a Puma before and that handled better than any posh German car. I just find that the people who drive around in expensive and sometimes ugly and expensive (Porsche Cayenne) cars are agressive on the road and not only are they bad drivers they have no manners either. I have always followed Honest John's advice and it was upon his recommendations that I bought the Roomster.
`squatting toad` car design-what price elegance? - Altea Ego
It happens to be an excellent car, get over yourself, its not just about looks.

Agreed it is a very good car

trouble is this thread is about looks ;P