New user looking for some omega advice - svpworld
Hi everyone and nice to have found this discussion group.
Having just purchased an ex-fleet omega 2.0 16V gls (1999/T) with 89K on the clock and full service history, I would like to ask a few questions to experienced motor enthusiasts/mechanics and pro's.
So far I am extremely impressed with this car, which also has an auto box. I would have preferred a cdx with a 2.5 or 3L, but am more than happy with the more cost effective 2L model. It lacks pull on steep hills as you would expect, and acceleration is more audible than physical!
First question is that I often find the engine sounds rather "diesel" like, especially on start up when compared to my old cavalier 8V 2L. Is this normal and if not, what could be the cause? It sounds a little clattery to me, not too serious but not silky smooth as I would expect.
Next up is the auto box. Is it a good idea to get the oil changed in the transmission given its high mileage, vauxhall told me theres no need. I find in neutral the car idles very smooth but in drive when stationary (foot brake on) I can feel a little vibration.
Another point is what I guess must be tyre noise, a low mid frequency rumbling except at very low speeds. The engine sounds almost silent with the windows closed, so can I reduce the tyre road noise somehow? softer tyres?
Phew a lot to ask I know for a first timer, but hope someone can help out.

Regards
Simon
New user looking for some omega advice - Jase
Simon,

Can't comment on the auto box issue but the Ecotec 16v 2litre is notorious for clattering on start up for a few seconds until the oil has worked its way around the tappets or hydraulic valve lifters or whatever they're called. You can also expect it to start stalling at junctions etc.. at some point when the air idle control valve bcomes blocked! This is surely the No.1 problem with these engines!?

Other than that I can't think of much else disasterous about these engines. Good luck with the Omega, I like them (for the money) but would try and seek out a 3.0L MV6 or Elite.;-)

Regards
from Jase
New user looking for some omega advice - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Get the belt and tensioners/guides changed NOW for peace of mind, the clattering on startup could be slackness in the belt. Changing the oil and filter screen is a good idea. Add a tube of Forte Auto Transmission Treatment when refilling, you'd be amazed at the difference. Oh and give Shell Optimax a try, you may find it gives you a bit more sparkle on performance, seems to be the feedback I am getting from my customers. Avoid the V6 engines unless you have deep pockets £150+ for regular plug lead changes and an hour and a half to fit them! As regards the perrenial Ecotec stalling problem you know where to come for advice.... see you here soon!;-)
New user looking for some omega advice - robert
Hi Andrew,

How much do you charge for labour to change a set of Omega V6 plug leads? Where are you located as well?

In anticipation.

Robert
New user looking for some omega advice - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Hi Robert,
located in West Sussex. Labour around £50 plus VAT (plus copious cups of coffee and an appointment with my chiropractor!)
New user looking for some omega advice - robert
Thanks Andrew,

I might well take you up on that. Can you drop me a line off net with your contact details ......

Thanks ......

Robert

robert.h.harvey@btinternet.com
New user looking for some omega advice - svpworld
I rang up the last service dealer stamped in the book and they told me the timing belt and water pump had been replaced by them (72K miles). The noise I mentioned is only on start up (cold) and soon goes, so it could be the oil distribution as mentioned. I thought about getting the auto box oil changed as the car's high mileage (89K in 3 yrs) but would it make much difference? I dont want to spend out if unnecessary, as I am thinking to get the tyres changed to something quieter soon. Regarding the auto transmission treatment, as I'd probably be getting a dealer to do the oil change, would they advise on adding this?
I'll definitely give the optimax a try, I assume we are talking fuel (never heard of it before!).
Everything seems to be in order, I've noticed a short and slight "chiff" from the rear shocks going over speed ramps, is it normal or are they showing signs of wear? I know my cav done the same on front and back. Biggest thing now is reducing the tyre noise, which seems to be the main source of rumbling noise in the cabin above 20mph. .. at least I think thats what it is!

Simon
New user looking for some omega advice - Dynamic Dave
The noise I mentioned is only on start up (cold)
and soon goes,

Sounds like the hydraulic lifters. Common fault with higher mileage Vauxhalls.
New user looking for some omega advice - andycav
Simon

The clatter you are hearing on starting your engine is more than likely to be to oil pickup pipe needing cleaned out in the engine sump, This is a common problem on 60k + engines.
Sludge builds up and obstructs the oil pickup on starting the engine. Also the vibration on your autobox is it with the hand brake on and the car left in drive, or in neutral?,
come back to me.
Andycav.
New user looking for some omega advice - crapcar
hi simon
just did auto oil change on my 2.5 cdx oil was very dark
had done 100k and it has helped a lot