Pug 306 1.9 DT - AP

Have a Pug 306 1.9 DT 1998 (R-reg) -85,000 Miles.

Recently this has been emitting clouds of black smoke and also lacking power. Consumption has gone up, but apart from that runs ok. Could this be injectors or something simple like a split or blocked hose somewhere on the system??
Could anyone out there please help!!
Pug 306 1.9 DT - Vansboy
Do the easy things first, air filter, fuel filter, check all the breathers to and from engine to air filter housing & oil filler neck are clear.
How long since timing belt change? Has it slipped?
Then start thinking about injectors & fuel pump being serviced, lots of ££££.
Mark.
Pug 306 1.9 DT - Emerson Fittipaldi
Yeah, I pretty much confirm vansboy's comments. After owning a Pug 106 Diesel, after around 90k my injectors packed up and it would'nt start very well when cold, this is usually tell-tale sign that the injectors are going. However diesel engines benefit from regular oil changes, and your Pug 306 has a 6,000 mile service interval. So if it's like tar on your dipstick (no pun) then I think an oil change is needed, and all the filters need replacing. Don't forget to change the fuel filter too. Peugeot also recommend an engine flush, but cannot for the life of me remember what it's called, this is excellent, as you dont want to put clean oil into a dirty engine. If your changing your oil, use a good brand like Castrol GTD. Hope this helps.
Pug 306 1.9 DT - AP
Thanks for the advice -Mark and Emerson.
It turns out that the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve is knackered.
Peg dealers price a new valve at £87....any ideas where to get one cheaper?
Pug 306 1.9 DT - jc
I've always used STP engine clean when buying a new (s/h) car.If the valve is staying open all the time-it sounds as tho' it could be-remove the valve and block the hole in the gasket-make another gasket with no hole.
Pug 306 1.9 DT - Miller
Has there not been a couple of posts on this site mentioning engine failures with this particular model/engine due to con-rod problems?, in particular cars manufactured in 1998?

If so, get it traded in now in my opinion!