99 2.0 Hdi Electrical niggles - Cwarner
Hi, having owned my Xantia for a few weeks now, being thoroughly pleased with it, a few electrical moans have reared their ugly head- all on the same day to be honest!

This morning, straight after starting, the clock/outside temp display went gradually dim until it was nearly unreadable- then returned to normal at the same rate. During the journey the airbag light started flashing and continued to do so.
In the handbook it says that the airbag lamp should flash for five minutes and then go constantly on if a fault is present- but mine continues blinking.
If the car is stopped and engine is restarted then the airbag lamp will go out- only to return flashing after a minute or so of running. *also* when i restart the car the Traffic Master system chimes in after the engine has started- which it has never done before, and is quite irritating.
In addition, around a week ago the alarm kept going off while on the drive for no reason whatsoever- everything is locked and secured as it should be.
I was wondering if it could be an intermittent power loss/bad earth causing this.
Has anyone had any similar problems to this, and did you manage to remedy it?
I know these cars aren't exactly known for their relyable electrics.

Thanks
Chris
Well, as expected, everything was fine on the way to and from work today. Will have to wait and see I suppose!
Chris
99 2.0 Hdi Electrical niggles - glowplug
The traffic master can be 'silenced' by pressing the button several times in quick succession, sorry I can't remember how many now. As for the other faults I'd remove, clean up and replace then copper grease all earthing points you can find. Check the battery terminal/cable junction to make sure these are good. On some Citroens (maybe all?) they are crimped and can work loose. Another area worth checking is for water in the footwells, I'm sure my Xantia had connectors down there and these won't like being damp. On Citroens a systematic clean up of the junctions/connectors can work wonders but it is a pain to do.

Hope that helps.

Steve.
Hi, I've already had ago at the earth block this morning as the engine refused to fire, just turning over. While this was happening the engine management and glowplug lamps were flashing- Left it for 20 minutes and it started after a few turns but the key warning illuminated, along with its warning buzzer?!
Turned engine off and restarted with no hesitation or warnings. The trip back from work was uneventful too. I can see this shaping up to be one of those faults that only appears when I'm about and not anyone else- which is not boding well for mine and this cars future!!! I could say that the fault is reoccouring but it has such variety every time its there, different lamps and symptoms.
No doubt this weekend will be spent sat in a waiting room while I get billed for a few laptop keys to be pressed and the phrase "Can't find anything wrong with it mate".
Chris
99 2.0 Hdi Electrical niggles - Screwloose

The non-start could be immobilizer issues. There may be some immob codes that might give a clue.

The rest of it is probably just French connexions.