03 2.2 direct Tailgate Stuck - Alby Back
Any suggestions welcome. The tailgate of my Signum is jammed shut. The central locking and tailgate release switch will occasionally cause it to partially release but it is still impossible to open. According to the handbook there should be a key operated "emergency" release inside the car next to the courtesy light but sadly on mine there isn't. There is no external keyhole and I can not figure out how to release the mechanism without butchering the interior panel trim. Any thoughts ?

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 09/08/2008 at 00:10

03 2.2 direct Tailgate Stuck - roosterbooster
look in the tailgate just above the lock,thereis a grommet which you take out then insert the vechile key and turn.Tailgate should now open.
Thanks RB but for some unknown reason there is nothing behind the grommet on mine. Just fresh air. However, I have found the answer on a model specific forum. It is highly probable to be a gunged up switch it seems. Anyway, it's back at the dealer to sort out now. Only had it a week and they have given me a loan car. Thanks for the tip though.
03 2.2 direct Tailgate Stuck - Dynamic Dave
However I have found the answer on a model specific forum.

If it's the forum I'm thinking of, was it Duncan's post? I recall he posted something about stripping down the rear lock assembly to clean the switch.
Well spotted DD. As it turned out because it went back to the dealer, they simply replaced the microswitch. Bit disappointed still though, I picked the car up this afternoon and have notched up another 80 or so miles in it since. On passing behind it at home I noticed a hole in one of the tail lamp clusters. I know it wasn't there before it went for its repair but having used it this afternoon it would be difficult to be sure it happened at the dealer. Pretty certain it did though. :-(