Scrapping a driveable car: economic sense? - mikem004
I would guess that scrap values have gone up this year.
Which affects people like me at MOT-time, looking to put a 1995 Micra, 130k through the MOT. The car already has a dodgy CV joint, a front spring needs replacing, it has severely scratched windscreen (I bought a wiper blade from the pound shop -- doh!), needs new HT leads and probably a new battery for the winter. And is cosmetically bad, with scratched bodywork and front bumper repaired with insulation tape. And that's before the MOT test. It runs OK, though.

Should/when it fails its MOT. Any ideas for scrap values in the North of England?

Thanks
Mike
Scrapping a driveable car: economic sense? - Mapmaker
>>car already has a dodgy CV joint a front spring needs replacing
>>needs new HT leads and probably a new battery for the winter. And is

So you need to spend a couple of hundred on it?. Plus an MOT for £50
it has severely scratched windscreen (I bought a wiper blade from the pound shop --
doh!)

And that's dangerous? So another £100?

And as scrap it's worth 50-100.

So effectively you're going to have to sink £500 to create a scruffy high-mileage car that's 13 years old.... When £500 will buy you something identical but with half the miles and 8-9 years old, and a couple of careful owners who haven't stuck it together with baler twine...

Moreover, if you stick it on eBay before the test runs out, with the description you gave above, you'll probably get nearly £200 for it. Or more...
It only has 1 month MOT left. I'm not sure I'd get 200 pounds for it, in the present credit crunch market.
However, you guys probably know the market better than me, which is why I am keen to listen to advice.

Thanks
Mike
eBay item 230275216102 sold by Nissan dealer in South Shields, tatty, no mileage stated, one month MOT, £268.

When you're young and poor, those £200 make a real difference, so somebody will buy it and keep it on the road - the bits it needs second hand will cost a few pennies, and they'll cope with the lower reliability of your old electrics.

Edited by Mapmaker on 05/08/2008 at 14:42

Or eBay 170242021652 £155 for a rusted pile of scrap requiring welding, a new clutch etc. etc. etc.
Thanks, MM.
Cosmetically, the Micra you show is in much better condition than mine. And its sold by a dealer. I guess the private price I might hope to get is 100 to 150 pounds (If I'm lucky).
Mike
Scrapping a driveable car: economic sense? - skorpio
why not spend the money on it and keep it. After all you know its history and the repair bill bill still be less than a newer car. With the costs of bigger cars increasing, having a small motor may be the 'in thing' in a few years time.

We wouldn't have so many old classic cars around if people just binned them when they got too old. It may be a classic one day.
Besides having a banger has its advantages. Less likely to get nicked, you don't care where its parked and if someone opens their door on it in a supermarket, they'll probably come off worse. Also you get right of way at a mini roundabout because you are in a beaten up old heap.
I know what you mean. But it all comes down to bangernomics -- cost of car 250, repairs cost 200. Bin it.
And I'm recycling. So the green lobby can't touch me!

Seriously, it might be best to get rid and look for a newer Micra with 50k on the clock.

Mike
Yours must be better than the MOT failure that made £155. I'm not sure you'd pay a premium for buying from a dealer when it has only 1 month MOT and it's on eBay with no reserve.

If you can afford to trade up a tiny bit, then it will be money well spent. Recent changes in scrap values have meant that complete wrecks now cost more than they used to; and with "desireable" teenagers' cars they're holding their value even better.