1991 1.6 groan from clutch/box when cold - carnut1980
hi all, my wifes 1991 mx5 eunos, 1.6i manual, makes a funny noise from the box when cold and when clutch is pressed, thing is the clutch was replaced not too long ago and it has only started doing this in the last 2 months, my mechanic thinks its the layshaft bearings in box but how can this be possible as when you press clutch you seperate engine from box? also wouldnt this happen over a longer period of time? ie worn brgs? the box oil has been changed and is fully topped up. My mechanic tends to make rash guesses sometimes so thought a 2nd opinion wud b gud. As i say it tends to only make the wierd groaning noise when cold and wen clutch is pressed, and i dont wanna have to buy another box without being certain, cheers all!
1991 1.6 groan from clutch/box when cold - sumpnut
Welcome Carnut, to get straight to the point does the noise only happen when the clutch pedal is moving up or down, or when it is held down, or if you just rest your foot on the pedal. Can you feel any roughness through your foot? Could the noise be better described possibly a creak or squeak or squeal?
1991 1.6 groan from clutch/box when cold - carnut1980
i would describe it as a kinda creaky (not overally high pitched, more low pitched) it tends to happen when it is a colder day rather than a hot day (tho on a couple of hot days it has also done it). It happens when the clutch is depressed, ie when you go to put it in gear. it does it through several gears, reverse, 1st and second. i donth think i hear it in the 3rd & 4th & 5th gear, butt might be because of the car noise at higher speeds over riding the noise. If i put my foot down on the clutch and dont pop it in the gear it still continues to do the noise. ( i think its clutch related rather than a gear box problem, but i am not a car expert in any form)
1991 1.6 groan from clutch/box when cold - defender
it sounds like it may be the flywheel spigot bearing sticking slightly as you press the clutch pedal ,was it changed when the clutch was replaced ?
1991 1.6 groan from clutch/box when cold - sumpnut
All the MX5 seem to suffer from a clutch slave cylinder oddity were the push rod ends need regular lubrication. I think your problem may be solved with a blob of grease to each end of the push rod, the most important end is inside the cylinder. Access is better if you remove the front offside wheel, remove the two fixing bolts holding the slave cylinder, and pull away from the pushrod and gaiter, grease the ends and reassemble. If this sounds too difficult you could use a spray grease by stuffing the delivery tube past the gaiter and spraying but this is not best practice. What ever method you use make sure the car is well supported and not just held on a jack.
1991 1.6 groan from clutch/box when cold - Manwithaplan
My 1996 1.8 does the same thing. My question is would this damage the gearbox if left?