02 1.9 DCI - no power up hill - chrisb147
Hi folks,

Some advice here would really be appreciated.

I am in month 3 of my 3 month warranty and recently whilst driving up a hill i have lost all power and had to drop down to second gear. In one instance I have had to pull into a layby through fear of actually rolling back down the hill.

The orange warning light (electrical fault) appears intermitantly and the garage have advised that they have changed the EGR valve when I last went back complaining of the orange light. It is due back in on Wednesday (06/08).

Having seen previous posts about Espaces i am now concerned that about what the problem could be and i'd like to go back to the garage armed with some knowledge.

Many thanks in advance.

Chrisb147

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/08/2008 at 11:10

02 1.9 Renault Scenic 1.9 DCI - no power up hill - DP
Sounds like it's going into "limp home" mode. A default response to fault somewhere in the system which runs the engine on base settings to protect it. Our Scenic II 1.9dCi did it when the wastegate hose developed a split, but any manner of faults would have caused the same reaction.

In our case, a fault code read, followed by about 20 minutes of investigative work by our (very good) Renault dealer found the problem, corrected it first time and it hasn't been back.

Screwloose is the expert on these things, and I expect he'll have more detailed input, but you need a fault code read.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 04/08/2008 at 09:58

02 1.9 DCI - no power up hill - Screwloose
chris

[I'm no expert; I wish I could forget everything I know about Renaults....]

DP's right; sounds like it's going to limp, but that's not the archetypal EGR symptom. More of a boost or fuel pressure issue. Code read first.

What fuel do you run it on?
02 1.9 DCI - no power up hill - chrisb147
Thanks for getting back to me

I was using Tesco Diesel on these two journeys.

Unfortunately i dont know the fault code so i'll try to get it from the garage when it goes in.

Does it seem odd that it only happens when going up hill?

02 1.9 DCI - no power up hill - Screwloose

I'd stay away from supermarket fuel on such a fragile system.

Not that surprising it happens under load; that's when over-boost and sub-target fuel pressure are most often apparent. [I take it the fuel filter has been changed as req'd?]
02 1.9 DCI - no power up hill - Collos25
First signs of the egr valve clogging up replace it they are not expensive unlike the bill if you don't.Nothing to do with supermarket fuel its a common fault regardless of the type of fuel or where its bought.