Gear box casing corrosion - Pete
Have just cleaned off a gearbox, the alloy casings having the usual patches of white powder corrosion. Now that I have them clean, can anyone please suggest what I can use to stop the white powder appearing again ? Is there anything on the market for this job ?
Thank you, Pete.
Gear box casing corrosion - Huw
I might be wrong but I think the best stuff to stop the generation of more white stuff is the white stuff you have just removed. The white stuff was probably a 'protective' oxide which adheres tightly - unlike rust - and prevents further corrosion.
Gear box casing corrosion - John S
Pete, how about Waxoyl?
Regards

John S
Gear box casing corrosion - Dynamic Dave
Pete, how about Waxoyl?

Gearbox casing - hot. Waxoyl wouldn't last long.
I suggest engine laquer.
Gear box casing corrosion - Cliff Pope
You mean you have a box that doesn't leak? Amazing. Any car I have had has had a constant seapage of oil which has done a wonderful job rustproofing itself and all the surrounding chassis.
Gear box casing corrosion - John S
DD

I take your point, but it tends to bake on and not disappear.

Regards

John S
Gear box casing corrosion - Flat in Fifth
OK number of issues here.

Aluminum gets its white appearance from the tightly adhering oxide layer as has been said.

However when it gets all really cruddy ( dead precise metallurgical term ;-) and under the influence of say road salts the corrosion speeds up and one gets these white deposits.

Of course one could employ all manner of fancy schemes to protect the casing, eg anodising or whatever but I'm not sure if you are concerned about strength or cosmetic issues. I'll assume the latter.

I'd suggest, ever so humbly, painting it using one of the special systems devised for aluminium boats above the waterline. International do a good one, but any decent chandlers should sort you out. The pack will give you the instructions you need.

Degreasing needs to be top notch.
The surface might/probably need to be abraded thoroughly Al oxide paper usually.
Etch primer, most important!!!!!!!!
Then top coat/coats, depends on the system.

However there is nothing to stop you using dilute sulphuric to remove all the white oxide, a really good rubdown/sandblast to give a good key and bang some laquer on but, to be honest, what did they say about a ha'porth of tar?

hope that helps.
Gear box casing corrosion - Pete
My thanks to all concerned. Input much appreciated.
Rgds Pete.