What's that car? - Spospe
I run the www.oradour.info website as a hobby, it is not in any way commercial or political, it is a website with an historical theme.

On the webpage: www.oradour.info/images/oldorad3.htm I have placed a photograph of the entrance to Oradour before it was attacked and destroyed. In this photo there is a car parked on the left and I am asking if any sharp-eyed forum members can tell me what the model is and when it would have been made?

The purpose in asking is to try and get a more accurate date for the photo than my present guess of 1938.

Thanks ........ Michael
What's that car? - nick
I'm afraid I can't help you with the car but just wanted to congratulate you on the excellent website. I visited Oradour a few years ago. I hesitate to say I enjoyed the visit as I don't think that's the correct word but I'm very glad I went. Good luck with your project.
Nick
What's that car? - Pugugly
The events there dawned on me at the age of 15 when World at War first went out, made a deep and lasting impression on me, thinking about the way that the way the village was portrayed by Issacs still makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise now.

No idea what the car is either - no doubt someone will know. There was a regular feature here in the early days "Mystery Car" if some of you veterans can recall.

Edited by Pugugly on 24/07/2008 at 16:47

What's that car? - Lud
There was a thread a year or so back about a burned-out shell in Oradour, still there perhaps. Turned out to be a Peugeot.
Hotchkiss is my guess.
What's that car? - Lud
Good one PU. Inclined to agree. But a guess really.
What's that car? - Sofa Spud
I'm onto this one.... completely foxed, though. Rover provided the nearest visual match but the radiator grille doesn't look right. Looks to be left-hand drive but can't tell for sure.

I Googled Hotchkiss images too, but nothing similar.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 24/07/2008 at 17:21

I can e-mail a friend in France - she has no interest in cars bu may know someone - or try www.honnetjean.co.fr !
£20.00 to the local hospice that its a Hotchkiss

www.ritzsite.demon.nl/.../CRAI99_vo6.htm
Got it! Early 1930s Renault 'Monoquatre'

See:
www.motorbase.com/profiles/vehicle/picture.ehtml?i...8
Brilliant !!!! I think that the R v. Turnbull requirements are met.

Edited by Pugugly on 24/07/2008 at 17:45

Another view:
www.oldtimercollection.nl/album/varia/a_renault-mo...g

It appears that this model was facelifted quite a lot so its appearance varied, not to mention independent coachbuliders getting their hands on it.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 24/07/2008 at 17:53

What's that car? - GroovyMucker
Whatever it was - a most enjoyable thread.
The OP hasn't been back, I reckon he must have thought it would take a couple of weeks to resolve. Been ill this week, will watch WaW tomorrow thanks to this thread.
What's that car? - GroovyMucker
Been ill this week

Sorry to hear that.
will watch WaW tomorrow thanks to this thread.

Could do worse. Glass of medicinal red and some cheese to build up your strength again.
Brilliant Sofa Spud !!

Yes it does indeed look to be a Renault Monaquatre and what is especialy interesting to me is that it could be as old as 1933 and not the 1939 I was originally told.

I will do a bit more research of the model and ammend the Oradour website accordingly.

Thanks to you all for your help and comments ................. Michael
There we are !
What's that car? - Paddler Ed
Oradour is somewhere that I visited in 2005; it was a place that the symbolisim is so strong and the feeling that is present is incredible. I felt the need to move in silence, and begrudged taking any photos or making any extra noise.

A truly incredible place, and somewhere that everyone should visit
Thanks again to everyone (especially Sofa Spud), I have made some corrections to the Oradour website to reflect that the photo could be older than I originally thought.

www.oradour.info/images/oldorad3.htm

This photo is not a major part of the Oradour story, but every little bit of accuracy helps.
Its perfectly feasible that a 1930 Renault would have been parked up in any given village in France in 1944 - it would be like finding an ubiquitous M reg Cavalier in any village in Britiain this afternoon. Probably more so given the fact that we're proportionally wealthier noe and the war had been going for four years.
What's that car? - mike hannon
I live just up the road from Oradour, in fact I'll be shopping there later on. Spospe, if you ever need anyone to pop over there with a question - I know quite a few locals, even the guy who services my car is one of the people who lost their families - you'll find my email on the profile.
What's that car? - billy25
Just as an aside, i've just looked up Monaquatre in the dictionary, and found no entries.

What would your transalation of the name suggest? - bit obvious i know but i keep coming up with "mono and quatro"! meaning one and four! whatever that would point to! - unless it was a 1.4 ltr engine?

Billy