1996 1.6 I think I've broken the engine!! - Phradge
Hello all,
Put a new water pump in my old Vectra today, no problems to speak of.

Put all the belts back on and ran the engine, but there was a high pitched squeel from the timing belt, sounded like the cover was catching on a pulley, so took the auxilliary belts off, and the crankshaft pulley to re-seat all the covers, as it sounded like it was the crankshaft pulley that was catching on the cover, I started the engine to see if the noise had gone. It ran for about 30 seconds then stopped.
I forgot to put the crankshaft pulley back on, before I started it, so I presume I have broken something. I have put it all back together again but now it just turns over but wont start.

Have I doomed it to the scrap heap?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil
1996 1.6 I think I've broken the engine!! - topbloke
did the belt come off the bottom pulley ? if so you maybe lucky and maybe not, the covers are notorious for being noisey if not fully clipped in place properly, assume thats the noise that you heard !
1996 1.6 I think I've broken the engine!! - Phradge
Hi topbloke,

The squeel was definitely the cover as i could get rid of the noise by holding it away from the pulley.
None of the belts came off, the engine just came to a stop, I checked the TDC again and it is spot on.

I dont know what I've done, Im thinking now that maybe its just run out of petrol, now that will be embarrasing