Garage Charges - Decker
Is £58 +VAT a realistic charge for 'greasing and adjusting??'the existing disc pads on a 1991 Proton by the local Ford garage in Saltburn?
Garage Charges - BrianW
I hope that they haven't greased your disc pads, otherwise you will go on forever!
Sounds a wierd description, I've no idea what they've actually done!
Garage Charges - M.M
Decker,

I guess they have taken out the pads, cleaned them and applied copa-slip to the backs and sliding surfaces. Perhaps they were squealing/sticking.

There is as much work in this as fitting a new set of pads so I guess about 1hr at dealer rates and that is your £58.

However I would have thought that a fast fit outfit may well have fitted a new set of pads to include the pad cost for this.

David W
Garage Charges - Ken A
How about £400 quoted by a VW main agent to replace disks and pads, front and rear on a 99 Golf TDI? My son took it there because it was under extended warranty and neither he or I could pin down the strange, rythmic noise coming from the offside front wheel. Thought the problem might have been a warranty job. Unfortunately not.
Needless to say we politely declined the quote and had the job done at the non-franchised garage which I use all the time, where the charge was £268.86 all in and where, because my son had to go back to Scotland, they fitted it into a very tight schedule the following day after I approached them at 4.00pm!
Incidentally the VW agent wanted £40 plus VAT for diagnostic work, ie taking the wheels off. My son, having more bottle than me, queried this and after consulting higher authority, the service manager waived the charge as a gesture of goodwill! Shows what you can get away with if you have the nerve.
Garage Charges - johnny
Um not my car I hasten to add but somewhat weaselish to charge £6.25 labour to "fit wheel trim" ie put on a hubcap as part of a service at Hendy Ford some years ago.
Golf whirring noises - JohnM{P}
Had a pool Golf TDi 110 which had a lot of road noise at walking speed and a rythmic whirring noise from somewhere (??)at 40mph+. As the car was coming up to the 60k warranty limit, I demonstrated this to VW garage technician who thought it was probably driveshaft or gearbox (rather than wheel bearing) but to wait until it became more pronounced so that it would be easier to trace.
I'd noticed that the tyres had worn very strangely - alternate tread blocks were worn/standing proud. They got to the state where I could get the leasing company to replace the worse pair on the back, put the new ones on the front and swapped the old fronts to the rear. Voila - whirring noise gone, road noise reduced. Changed the car before I could get the other old tyres replaced to see if that would have got rid off excessive road noise completely...