What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - Brianb
We're considering changing my wife's 2005 1.6 Zetec Climate 5d Hatch (petrol), shortly (next couple of months). The car will be 3 years old in Sept, and we usually keep our cars within warranty periods therefore <3years.
I thought this would be easier than it's turning out to be.
I liked the look and idea of a 57 Astra 1.9CDTI Design in Motorpoint, as the price was within budget (about 3-4K on the Focus). But the boot was tiny, the spec says 350 litres but no way would it fit a pushchair in.
Read a few reviews on good used buys and they all recommend the Focus, so what do you buy once you've had a Focus?

Criteria, I need a 4-5d car. Fits a pushchair in the boot, reliable and credible (wife would be keen on a Daewoo type thingy) badge. Would love a Golf GT TDI but this isn't within budget, not even the streched budget.

We haven't ruled out keeping the current Focus, but this would then cost more to change in the future.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - corblimeyguvnar
Keep it, then wait a year or so to see what happens with the credit crunch.
Better the devil you know?
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - stunorthants26
How about a Fiat Bravo with their 5 year warranty, you could keep it longer then? Boot is 400 litres. Or if boot space is important, how about an Octavia? 560 litres. Both look good in the driveway these days.
A Ford Focus is hardly credible image wise anyway so dont take much to match it for image.
Info on your total budget would help others im sure in answering your query.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - ForumNeedsModerating
We haven't ruled out keeping the current Focus, but this would then cost more to change in the future

No, probably not. The money you save by not changing can be er, saved - then your Focus' depreciation will tail-off (the curve becomes shallower) - you'll actually be better off than suffering year 1-2-3 depreciation on a newer car if bought now.

What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - MikeTorque
Keep the Focus, the worst of the depreciation occurs in the first 3 years, after that you'll be quids in and if something were to go wrong then you'd still be better off as you'd use the cash saved from the depreciation to pay for the repair and probably having more than enough for a holiday as well.

Otherwise consider a facelifted 2008 Focus, you'll notice the sound insulation and refinement differences compared with a 2005 Focus.
Thanks for the replies. Current budget between £9-10K, I reckon the Focus is worth £5.5-6K in px.

Also the Focus has been 100% reliable thus far, hence another reason to keep it longer. It has only covered 20K miles and just had a major service at the dealers (£230! Huh!).

I'd be looking to buy a pre reg or at least a sub 10K mile 57plate car. I bought the Focus from a car supermarket so have been looking at the same for a replacement.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/09/2008 at 11:15

What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - midlifecrisis
I've been keeping an eye on the Focus for a while as a replacement for 'er indoors car. 05/55 reg cars are selling for £5500 so you might get a shock when it comes to p/x.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - Happy Blue!
With the greatest of respect to the OP and presumably the vast majority of people on here who earn a fixed salary, I am amazed at the number of people who insist on changing cars, just because its three years old! Money doesn't grow on trees and we are entering (if not entered) a rapid downward spiral of economic depression, with significantly reduced ability to borrow, increased real interest rates and falling house values, not to mention increased food prices and increasing unemployment.

The someone says, I'll just spend another £5,000 on swapping one five door hatchback for another five door hatchback. Why? What is wrong with a 2005 Focus, especially one that has only done 20,000miles in three years (i.e. 7,000pa). And then you complain abou the main service costing £320. I don't think that's too bad for a main service - you do want a safe and reliable car don't you?

Sorry - rant over, but for heavens sake, keep the Focus, don't borrow any money at all, put the money you were going to spend against the mortgage to reduce outgoings and sit tight. We are in for a roller coaster for the next 18 months.

Trust me. Look at a my profile and see what I do - I am busy (remarkably enough) devaluing every piece of real estate I see. Flats in a north Manchester town have just dropped 40% in value in three months and they haven't stopped falling. Prime warehouses in the North's most important industrial estate cannot find tenants or buyers. Sit on your hands and do nothing with your money other than pay down debt. PLEASE!
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - midlifecrisis
Despite seeing them for £5500, I noticed in my local paper today an 05reg Focus 1.4 Studio (bottom of the range) at a Ford dealer for £7999. Nothing like optimism to raise a smile.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - arnold2
Audi A3 - you'll get a pre-facelift for that money
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - merlin
I happen to agree with you Espada although your profile makes interesting reading. 18 months per car is a little excessive! I'm averaging 6 years per car over 18 years and one of those was a Impreza turbo which I didn't keep for long. The fuel and insurance bills just weren't sensible.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - bimmer-driver
I'd keep it if I were you with the current climate etc. Better of with what you know.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - daveyjp
Changing it at 20,000 miles makes absolutely no sense, it's barely run in. Once out of warranty a good independent will service it for peanuts.

A colleague has an 02 reg Focus 1 with just 40,000 miles - her last independent serivce and MOT was £180 and this included two new tyres. She admits herself it's the most reliable car she has owned.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - L'escargot
........ the vast majority of people
on here who earn a fixed salary ..........

............. or get a non-index linked pension!
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - Avant
Brian, I think this depends on how you're financing your car.

If you paid outright for the Focus and would do so again, I'm with Woodbines and the others - keep the one you've got. But if you're paying monthly instalments as on a PCP, you'll have to find the balloon payment if you keep the Focus. You'll also have to be very strong-minded and save the monthly payments you would no longer be paying, because as you rightly say a new one will cost more later on.

If you do want to change (and finance isn't the only consideration - you may just want a new car) then another Focus or an Octavia would seem to make most sense.
You'll get everything a Golf GT TDI would give you - with more space - if you have an Octavia 2.0 TDI.
I do agree with those who suggest keeping the Focus, it IS a good car. I'm probably lucky that the current recession hasn't bitten yet.
We're fortunate enough to finance our cars with cash from short term savings, which is what give's the flexiblilty to keep or swap whenever.

And thanks to Espada III, when I spoke to my FSA last week, who was basically too busy to see me as many of his clients were going broke due to not being able to refinance as planned.

I know that it makes sense, but you can't help looking at what seems like a good deal can you? And I'm sure that there'll be many more in the next 12 months!

Better go and polish the Focus then and let SWMBO know it's staying (which she'll be pleased about really).

Thanks all.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - Happy Blue!
I am glad I could be of assistance!

In response to the person who queried my rapid change of cars - I am fortunate to run my own surveying practice and have other business interests that allow me to 'enjoy' changing cars more frequently than most. However, despite that ability I never spend as much as colleagues who spend upwards of £40,000 for the default BMW, Merc or Porsche.

The enjoyment is in the chase rather than the ownership, although I really should update my profile as I had my Forester for 23 months and the Outback has been with me for more than 18 months now and I really don't see any reason to change. Subarus eh? Once they've got you, they really hang on!

"The enjoyment is in the chase rather than the ownership"

Absolutely right, Espada - as usual! Although in Brian's case (good car, buys with cash, similar needs, low mileage) I agree with the majority view to stay put, the process of looking for a new car is FUN - whether you're spending £1,000 or many times that.

I've been looking for a convertible for £6k-£8k, and the discovery that SWMBO wasn't comfortable getting in and out of the original front-runner, the MX-5, wasn't as upsetting as all that: the hunt starts again.

However pleased one is with one's eventual choice, it's difficult to avoid the slightly flat feeling when the contract is signed and the 'chase' is over. I suppose that applies to any purchase of something interesting, as opposed to everyday or 'distress' purchases.

Those sad souls for whom a car is a distress purchase are almost certainly not Backroomers, so we needn't spare them much sympathy.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - Blue {P}
My goodness , I thought I was one of the only people to enjoy the thrill of this particular chase! I'm pleased to see that it afflicts plenty of others too. :-)

Edited by Webmaster on 22/07/2008 at 01:42

What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - rtj70
Keep it. And get an extended warranty. It is probably not needed but keeping the car will save a fortune. Why swap a 3 years if it's not just the warranty? Maybe you need a private plate too :-)
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - MichaelR
My goodness I thought I was one of the only people to enjoy the
thrill of this particular chase! I'm pleased to see that it afflicts plenty of others
too. :-)

No real thrill in chosing between a Vauxhall Astra Design and a Focus Zetec, though, is there?

Keep the Focus. It's a reliable, economical, reasonably new, low mileage car. A brand new Astra will offer you absolutely nothing that your current car does not already offer you, bar more depreciation. If you wish to upgrade then sure - move up to a better class - but if thats not your aim, keep the Focus. It is an excellent car.

A Vauxhall Astra is not £10,000 better than a 2005 Focus. Infact if you want an Astra just rent one from Enterprise like every other Astra driver out there, as most of them are company cars for junior carpet salesmen and hire cars.

The Focus - keep it. Or buy a nice Mercedes or something.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - The Melting Snowman
We have recently got a 2007 Focus and it's proving a great car. Effortlessly reliable. I would suggest keeping what you've got. Why let another buyer get their hands on it?

If you do decide to change then I would advise you to steer clear of ex-rental. Despite what some people will say I am far from convinced they are a good buy. At work we have hire cars and the way they get treated would cause me to run a mile from one.
A Vauxhall Astra is not £10 000 better than a 2005 Focus. Infact if you
want an Astra just rent one from Enterprise like every other Astra driver out there
as most of them are company cars for junior carpet salesmen and hire cars.
The Focus - keep it. Or buy a nice Mercedes or something.

I don't believe I suggested that I'd be paying £10K on top of the Focus (more like £4K), the improvement would possibly be going from a 1.6 petrol to a 1.9 150bhp diesel (which Ford can't offer).
I already have a nice Mercedes, W203 C220CDI, well I like it anyway.

Reading the other recent post I believe that I've hit on the reason for the proposed change, boredom. Those who talk about the fun of the chase, for me it's also about seeking out what seems like a bargain. Despite the biggest bargain being keeping the current car, I still like to find a good deal and change regularly.

I heard that it was a medical fact that if you live a stress free life, don't smoke or drink and avoid loose women you can live to be 100 years old. Not really, it just seems that long!
So maybe try a compromise between head and heart, Brian? No need to be in any hurry to change the Focus, but make a short-list, test drive them and look out for bargain deals on the cars you like, starting with end August but being prepared to wait a few more months for the right deal to come up.

As suggestions that should meet your original criteria, you could try the Skoda Fabia hatch or estate (1.6 petrol or 1.9 diesel - looks like a biggish car for the 1.4s), or the Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30, again available as hatchback or estate. There's 1.6 petrol or 1.6 / 2.0 diesel. Or the Nissan Note - a stupid name but said to be a good car. 1.6 petrol or 1.5 diesel. Finally there's the Mercedes A-class: expensive unless you buy secondhand but might be worth a look: Espada has just gone for one of these for his wife's possibly similar needs.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - NowWheels
Reading the other recent post I believe that I've hit on the reason for the
proposed change boredom. Those who talk about the fun of the chase for me it's
also about seeking out what seems like a bargain. Despite the biggest bargain being keeping
the current car I still like to find a good deal and change regularly.

If you like deal-making and bargain-hunting, it might be cheaper to have a separate hobby car which you can chop-and-change. A young man of my acquaintance seems to change his car every few months: old Land Rovers, classic VW Beetles, the occasional van etc. Never has much money tied in them, but usually sells them on for more than enough to cover his costs, and loses little when he doesn't.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - MichaelR
If you are bored of a 2005 Focus then buy something interesting becuase a 2008 Focus or Astra isn't going to provide you with much more enjoyment.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - MikeTorque
If it's boredom then no matter what car you buy you'll get bored with it sooner or later.

It could of course be OCD (obsessive car disorder) in which case a professional cognitive behaviour therapist should be able to help.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - oilrag
"No greater joy but never runneth to end"

We would call it response habituation now..

But this poem captures it perfectly in earlier times.

tinyurl.com/5bfopq

In other words, the initial `buzz` doesn`t last on new purchases, but also the real `downer` of an incident lifts with time.

Response habituation then. The curse and blessing of Human kind...

Er...Keep the Focus
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - Pugugly
Wow (I mean that)
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - oldlag
Long story my mk2 Focus was a disaster (documented elsewhere on here) but due to the fact it failed for the 29th time and I had it at the dealers wouldnt go (again) and no car SO I opted in january 2008 to trade it get a brand new 1.8 zetec petrol focus, so far Ive done 2,760 miles in it.
I not surprisingly given the 6mths run around Ford gave me on the last one, I now hate Fords and anything Ford so I now find myself hating this one I have now i hate this car and was thinking of trading it for one of the last vectras on a 58 plate in a few weeks time.
Question is what Petrol Engine is best to get in the Vectra - I only do at most 5K miles a year.
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - rtj70
"Question is what Petrol Engine is best to get in the Vectra - I only do at most 5K miles a year. "

You're stealing a thread ;-) You'd get a better response by starting a new one. Some people with knowledge of Vectras might not look here - well Dynamic Dave will so you're probably fine.

Had a 1.8 SRi Vectra as a hire the other week when my Mazda6 was serviced. I thought it was a bit gutless but I only drove it a total of 5 miles in the end ;-) Had 1.8's before with 4 passengers plus luggage and again not much go.

If only doing 5,000 miles then the bigger engines won't do much less mpg and will probably depreciate more. So how about 2.2 direct or even a 2.8 turbo ;-)
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - DavidHM
Bear in mind that 2007/07 Vectras are going for £6k now if you're after the 1.8 Life base model, which is adequate but no more - but then a Vectra is not an emotional purchase.
the fact it failed for the 29th time .......

Seriously or slight exaggeration?
What to follow a 2005 Focus with? - NowWheels
If you trade in an 8-month-old car you will be looking at a loss of many thousands of pounds, so you will be paying a lot of money just to get a different brand.

If you really hate Fords, then buying a new one in January was not a great idea. But having got it, and found it to be trouble free, why change it? If it is trouble-free, you have got a highly-recommended car that works well, and there is no guarantee that a replacement from any manufacturer won;t turn out to be a pup.

If you are only doing 5K miles a year, that's about 3 hours use per week. Rather than spending several grand to change the label on a rarely-used tool, why not use the cash for something that will give you much more pleasure, such as holiday or home improvements, or more security such as paying off part of your mortgage or boosting your pension pot?

Assuming you sleep 6 hours a night, you spend 42 hours a week in bed, which is 14 times as much as you spend in the car. £1000 will buy you a really good new bed and mattress, and surely that'll make more difference to your life than a change of label on a 3-hours-per-week car?
so
what do you buy once you've had a Focus?

Buy another Focus. If you're satisfied with you present car, there's no point in going to another make or model just for the sake of it.

Edited by L'escargot on 10/08/2008 at 10:13