04 2.0hdi Cutting Out - Louisemac
Could anyone help me out with this ,my daughters 2004 ,307 90 hdi ,
last week it cut out on her ,after checking the diesel ,we decided to change fuel filter ,
and drain the tank incase she had got dodgy diesel ,cleared fuel lines ,then refilled tank ,car wouldnt start on key but started on a push ,it ran for two minutes then cut of again ,same thing happened yesterday ,restarted the car on a push ,but car drove for two minutes then cut out again ,started again on the key for a further three times ,before i got it home ,after talking to a few mechanics yesterday as the anti pollution light is not staying on ,they have said about the particle filter or the cat being blocked ,as its losing the power to rev up ,before i book it into puegeot would it be visible to try and clear exhaust with an airline .Thanks .

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/07/2008 at 13:41

04 2.0hdi CUTTING OUT . - Armitage Shanks {p}
The problem would appear to be in the first words of your post "Last week it cut out on her" and that is what needs investigating. What made anyone think that she had got 'dodgy' diesel. Once you started doing things to the fuel system the problems probably got worse Also, if the anti-pollution light is NOT staying on, who is telling you that the PF is blocked and how could it be? Standby for informed comment from the ever reliable Screwloose!
04 2.0hdi CUTTING OUT . - Louisemac
She defintley got dodgy diesel ,its a common thing over here in ireland ,
washed diesel ,whenever the guy opened the fuel filter all was there to be seen ,
it actually smelt like meths ,thats the reason we changed the filter and drained the tank .
he,s only listening to other puegeot mechanics as he works in the same dealership .Lets hope its something simple as these 307,s seem to have fault after fault .
04 2.0hdi CUTTING OUT . - Screwloose
Lm

Yes; we're pretty familiar with the effects of "Irish diesel" over here too. Washed with hydrochloric acid to remove the tracers. Destroys HDi fuel systems on contact.

No engine code and system details; so you'll have to forgive some flexibility in this list.

Replace:-

The fuel tank - complete with tank-pump [if fitted.]
The front to rear fuel and return lines - and fuel cooler [if fitted.]
The complete filter housing and link pipe.
The high-pressure fuel pump.
The fuel rail and all pipes to and from it. [Sensors can be cleaned.]
The injectors [four.] [Will need re-coding.]
Screwloose ,think ill leave it in and get it put on diagnosis machine ,
dont think she could ever afford that list youve just give her ,so have to
try and eliminate a few ,cant understand why when you put the revs up ,
it doesnt blow out the exhaust ,any other suggestions .
yeah we all know how easy it is to ruin a car with washed diesel ,
its common knowledge over here as you just dont know which garage could
be selling it .We have already replaced the siemens fuel pump on it .
04 2.0hdi CUTTING OUT . - Armitage Shanks {p}
LM - I wasn't aware, from your first post that you lived in the land of hooky diesel! Screwloose has given you the answer, it is just that the cost makes your eyes water. If you know where the fuel came from do you have any comeback from the garage? I would imagine not, guessing who may own it or have a controlling interest in it. I am sorry it is bad news for you!
Thanks armitage ,the mate took the exhaust of tonight and swore it was the cat from last week ,seems it was completley blocked ,so wasnt letting the fumes away ,ill put another exhaust on it tomorrow and hopefully fingers crossed thats the problem .Its now firing upno problem and idling away ,before that it wasnt .Guess you just have to go through the list of problems that you think causes it at the very start .Im just glad ive a good friend who,s a mechanic otherwise i would have a hefty bill .Yeah mate the washed diesel is a bad un over here ,keep telling her to stick to places like tesco or sainsburys ,but you know daughters whatever garage comes first to them they will top up .

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/07/2008 at 01:24

04 2.0hdi CUTTING OUT . - Screwloose

Before the FAP blocked totally she should have been getting wall-to-wall warnings, the MIL light should have been on and it should have been in limp-home for weeks - was it?

Irish diesel should have no effect on the FAP at all - although I doubt that PSA have done any definitive tests...

If it's blocked; replace it and service/re-set the additive system - or the new one will quickly go the same way.