1997 1.8TD Where is the brake proportioning valve? - mondeomadness
Hi, hope someone can help me! I have bought a '97 Ford Mondeo 1.8 TD LX estate, and it came with an MOT failure sheet stating "little or no operation of nearside rear brake". The previous owner had the car looked at by a garage, and the paperwork from them says faulty brake compensator valve. I have bought the part to replace it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the car. Does anyone know where it is? Also, Does anyone know if the symptoms I am experiencing are consistent with the valve being shot? I have removed the rear wheel and tried to bleed the brake, but no fluid comes out! Thankyou in advace for your time in replying to this post!

Mondeomadness
1997 1.8TD Where is the brake proportioning valve? - kithmo
They are on the master cylinder IIRC.
Does this mean I will need a new master cylinder? What is an IIRC? Thanks
1997 1.8TD Where is the brake proportioning valve? - Dynamic Dave
If I Recall Correctly

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/07/2008 at 22:12

Thanks. Feel a bit stupid now!
Hi, still having problems trying to diagnose the issue causing my brake to not work! I have looked at the master cylinder, but there does not appear to be anything that even vaguely resembles the valve I have bought!! Is it a possibility that perhaps the slave cylinder has seized and due to the fact there is no fluid leaking the garage who were paid to diagnose the problem have made an incorrect diagnosis? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am losing my hair faster than normal!!!
1997 1.8TD Where is the brake proportioning valve? - yorkiebar
A load proportioning valve would conventionally sit on or around the back axle to allow for different weights at the back end to alter brake pressure.

Its possible your car doesnt have the conventional type for a variety of reasons.

Look and report?
1997 1.8TD Where is the brake proportioning valve? - kithmo
If they are fitted there should be two of them sticking out of the botton of the master cylinder, with the rear brake pipes coming out of the end of them. Could be different if it has ABS.
1997 1.8TD Where is the brake proportioning valve? - jeremy99
I retrofitted ABS on my 2000 estate and this concerned me for a while. If your 1997 is a blacktop as well I may have the answer.

In fact on the estate there is no load propotioning valve but instead there are two pressure limiting valves. They are not on the master cylinder as the manual says but as the back of the car just above the flexible hoses to the rear brakes.

These valves themselves should be quite easy to change.

Unfortunatley I had to replace the rear pipes as with ABS these valves are redundant and they are sandwiched between sub frame and fuel tank!