05 2.9 VERY confused about 1 Series tyre pressures - Magicdave
I would be really grateful for some advice regarding tyre pressures for my BMW 130i M Sport (5 door).

I recently had new tyres fitted and the new configuration is as follows:

Front Goodyear 205/45 R 18 86 W
Rear Goodyear 225/40 R 18 88 Y

In order to check the tyre pressures I looked at the small plaque on the driver?s door pillar which specifies tyre pressures. Unfortunately the combination above does not appear at all ! The notice shows set ups for all 4 tyres designated with ?W? speed rating, or all four tyres designated with ?Y? speed rating. It does not give pressure settings for a combination of W and Y tyres.

I am very confused as to what pressure I should set the tyres (for normal loading), or if the tyres have been fitted incorrectly. Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Dave Hawkins
05 2.9 VERY confused about 1 Series tyre pressures - adverse camber
The W & Y are speed ratings, I would be surprised if the inflation pressure differs for different speed ratings. Given that those ratings are for 168mph and 186mph the difference is unlikely to affect you in your day to day commute. It may be that bmw require all 4 tyres to have the same rating - in which case I would try to get it sorted in case an insurance inspection after an accident picks up on it.

the 86 and 88 are load ratings - are these correct?

How do the pressures vary for the different speed ratings? I presume the sizes are correct?
05 2.9 VERY confused about 1 Series tyre pressures - DrPep
Did you manage to get any further information on this?

I bought my 130i a few months back. The tyres on the car at the time of purchase (from a BMW dealership) were the exact same as you specify above.

I couldn't see any specifics in the manual as to the acceptability of the mismatched speed rating though. Let me know if you have any further info on this.

Thanks, Nigel