screeching noise from front - needhelp
Fiat tipo turbo diesel 1991
Recently had brake pipes renewed as well as front caliper on off side. However I still have this problem
after driving for approx 15 mins a screeching noise appears to come from the offside front wheel. This seems to only happen when the steering is slightly turned, when I apply the brakes the noise stops until I release them. Also if I stop completely for 2-3 mins it is fine for about half hour or sometimes longer. It can happen when travelling in a stright line as well at no matter what speed. The sound is similar to when turning metal on a lathe. there is no other problem such as rumbling or wobling wheels Just this extremely loud screeching noise. Anyone who may be able to throw a few suggestions my way it would be greatly appreciated
screeching noise from front - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
You didnt say whether you had the front discs or pads changed at the same time. Could possibly be
1- Pads or caliper binding.
2- Wear ridge at extremes of contact area of disc
3- Play in wheel bearing.
4- Foreign object embedded in pad
5- Splash shield contacting disc.
screeching noise from front - needhelp
Sorry pads and discs are still the same the garage never changed them as he said they were ok. The caliper on that side is new as the old one had seized and the noise was the same before the work was done. The disc doesnt seem to be scored anywhere so I guess I rule out object on pad and the spalsh shield isn't in contact with disc. Not sure about play in wheel bearing though how would I check this Thanks for your help so far
screeching noise from front - Johndabs
Sounds to me as though the old pads may have been affected by heat from the time when the caliper was sticking / seized. I'd suggest that you replace the pads with a good quality set, ensuring that all the mechanism is properly free. Check the discs themselves to see if they have become polished. This is often a problem and you might have to bite the bullet and get new discs. Shop around the motor factors for a decent price.