1990 2.5DT J5 vacuum pump question - domcr
Hi People,

I?ve have a 1990 Peugeot J5 based camper van, it?s based on the 2.5 turbo diesel chassis.

It went in for a cambelt change last week (thought I would let someone with a 4 post ramp do that one!) and they reported that the brake servo was defective.

Now I?ve done the pump test on the brake pedal and it does move down a few inches on startup (so to me it?s not a servo issue). However when the engine is running and I put my finger over the pipe coming from the vacuum pump it has very little ?suck? ? even if I rev it.

I think it?s probably a poor vacuum pump, however can anybody tell me if the pump should actually produce a good vacuum, on mine it?s certainly less than I would expect from a petrol car off the manifold? I don?t want to spend £150 on a new pump if the old one is working as intended.

Many thanks,

Dom

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/06/2008 at 11:41

1990 2.5DT Peugeot J5 vacuum pump question - L'escargot
However when
the engine is running and I put my finger over the pipe coming from the
vacuum pump it has very little ?suck? ? even if I rev it.

The pump should produce a good vacuum. Any chance of you obtaining a vacuum gauge (or mercury U-tube) so that you can measure the vacuum? You should expect to get approaching 30" Hg (760 mm Hg) or the equivalent in whatever the gauge scale is. See the following for an explanation. tinyurl.com/6843ey

Edited by L'escargot on 09/06/2008 at 11:14

1990 2.5DT Peugeot J5 vacuum pump question - domcr
Many thanks for the suggestion, I think my dad may have one so I'll try this first. I popped into a Peugeot dealer and asked about the cost of a new pump, they quoted just a shade over £300! ...so I want to be 100% sure.