97 1.9tdi cambelt timing - wadey
i have a 97 vw passat tdi the pretentioner pully gave up so i changed the cambelt too and since then it starts lumpy and the turbo seems intermitent i couldnt see any marks only the locating hole on pump any ideas
97 1.9tdi cambelt timing - scotmech
At the rear of the camshaft there is a slot ... fit a setting bar and centralise with feelers ...

There is a TDC mark on the flywheel ... seen through an inspection hole in the bellhousing ...

97 1.9tdi cambelt timing - George Porge
tdiclub.com/articles/A3-TimingBelt/

Maybe of help?
97 1.9tdi cambelt timing - wadey
thankyou for replies i know i said it is a 97 but it is the later shape so i can only imagine it is 1 of the first 98-2000 shape sorry for any misunderstanding any ideas as the engine is differentthanks again
97 1.9tdi cambelt timing - v8man
You need to know the engine code. My wife's 1.9Tdi engine is code AFN. You will find this on the engine in a sticker attached to the cambelt cover or in the handbook.

I have done this job and I have a Sealey VAG setting tool kit. This is vital. Also, the front of the car has to come off to gain access. You need the service position tools support the front as it has the aircon rad etc. mounted to it.

The timing mark on the ring gear is very difficult to see. This is a very time consuming job; not for the faint hearted! If you get the pump timing wrong the engine will not start - period.

If you have any doubts about your ability I would seriously bite the bullet and pay for someone to do it.