Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - TimOrridge
Hi all,

Just been asked to post on behalf of another colleague who has a Audi A6 Avant.

Does any body have any real world experinces ot the above tyre? I think he mainly means wear reate vs price and grip? Reason he askes is that he has been quoted nearly £200 a tyre and is wondering if a cheaper brand (KUHMO) is more worthwhile?

Any info appreciared

Edited by Webmaster on 04/06/2008 at 14:12

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - Andy P
Until a couple of weeks ago, I had these on my Accord Type-S. They were very good tyres in terms of grip (both wet and dry) and roadholding, but as with any tyre of this type, wear was higher than normal (about 16-20k for the front, longer for the rear). The size I have (225/45R17) are £128.

I guess it all depends on how you drive. If you're a gentle driver who likes to arrive when they arrive, then a mid-range tyre should be okay. If you're an "enthusiastic" driver, who likes to extract a bit more out of the car, then the grippier tyres make more sense.

This link (tinyurl.com/2k2tth) shows the results from Evo's 2007 tyre test (F1 first, PS2 fifth)

This link (tinyurl.com/5juw77) is the Autocar 2007 tyre test - again, the F1 came first, the PS2 came second.
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - George Porge
No one ever seem to mention BF Goodrich, owned by Michelin and they don't (or did'nt)have any manufacturing plants anywhere in the world ;o) No more clues :oO

How do BFGs compare price wise?
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - perleman
These are high performance tyres that are suited to sporty driving. They are well regarded in the Boxster community but would be wasted on someone who likes to pootle along as they would not wear as well (possibly due to softer compound) & the benefit would not be noticed.

Out of interest, check the prices from mytires.com & black circles as they can supply them at internet prices to a local garage who then charge £10 a tire to fit - the savings can be substantial.
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - MichaelR
Pilot Sport 2's are hugely expensive and never seem to really do much better than middle of the top end tyres in tyre tests, especially in wet performance.

I'd certainly go for a cheaper tyre but NOT Kumho's et al, becuase PS2's are SO expensive you can buy other high performance, quality tyres for noticeably less.

In this case I'd be after Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric or Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, both of which placed above PS2 in the last Evo tyre test.