White is the new black - Marc
Saw a new Mondeo today (still a relatively rare site surprisingly) It was a Titanium X with 18" alloys in WHITE - looked fantastic IMO.

I'm also seeing more prestige cars in solid red these days too. Good to see it.
White is the new black - Ian (Cape Town)
In this neck of the woods I reckon 40% of cars are white.
They are pretty cool, (pun intended), and we don't have the airborne or roadborne (salt and dirt) pollution problems too badly.
The 13 yr old white astra still looks not-half-bad once it gets a wash and polish.
Red cars - avoid like the plague. There are far far too many off-pink ones here, due to sun damage!
Colour matching red is always a pain - the thing MIGHT look good after coming out the panel-shop, but six months down the line, as fade-rate on differeing panels changes, the thing looks like Josephs coat'!
White is the new black - tr7v8
Yup White is the new Silver. Some modern cars look fantastic in white & I keep considering chopping the Jag for a Cayman & the odd one is in white which would be my choice.
When I had the TR7 I hated white TR7's they look naff, but the white 944 which wasn't a colour I'd have chosen looks great, the colour suits white.
White is the new black - Lud
Saw a new-shape Seat Leon with red brake calipers parked today up the road, in a sort of garish yellow.

I have often complained about the current Seat styling, but it doesn't look as bad as it used to in a Leon anyway in that colour.

Perhaps car stylists corrupt our taste in the intervals between educating it.

I wish Altea Ego would post an opinionated squib on this. I miss his arrogance and wit.
White is the new black - Avant
Silver, although boring, is the best colour for not showing the dirt. As HJ says you have to keep cleaning a white car - but a layer of grime is even worse on black.

Only a few years ago we were being told that white cars were complete clunkers: I quite like it but oh no, if I had one in white it would be worth considerably less the other end. The various shades of white haven't changed - so why the change?

There's nowt so queer as folk.
I almost wish I gave a damn, seeing all this excitement.

Filth is the new lacquer and always has been.
White is the new black - oilrag
The exclusivity of White really belongs on vans, such as mine. I hope the City-boy-financial-grasper neighbours are not going to change their Luxo-barges for White, unless they park in the next street.

Bad enough seeing their chemically whitened teeth looking scary on a dull day, without them achieving counter point with their cars paintwork. (pass me the shades)

White is the new black - Stuartli
White, to me, is a non-colour in all but a rare number of cars.

Re the new Mondeo - my best mate got his Ghia two-litre TDCI about six weeks ago after nearly three months of waiting for it to be built (who would have thought you'd have to wait so long for a blue badge offering?)

It's in a gold colour (Chill metallic?) and has an impressive on-road appearance; it's the only one I've seen in this particular colour.
White is the new black - Hamsafar
"Why the change?" - well we were primed for this in the press a couple of years a go - apparently the paint companies such as ICI made a breakthrough in white car paint which made it look deeper and glossy, and well more expensive, well, I'm afraid it's a case of the emperor's new clothes for me.
White is the new black - Kevin Phillips-Bong!
I've seen a couple of Civics in white around Swindon. Look good, guess Honda is trying out a new colour.
White is the new black - Optimist
I think white is the worst colour on the planet for a car. OP said he was pleased to see that basic red was getting popular. I think that's because the only other colour not offered at a surcharge by most manufacturers is white.

Cars which look quite good in other colours, often look a mistake in white. There's a Volvo ad I've just seen in one of the mags with this morning's paper. The car's white and the instinct is to look elsewhere.

White makes me think of hire and fleet cars, bought 100 at a time to get a deal for the buyer and a bit of promotion for the manufacturer.

So, er, I don't like white very much.
White is the new black - Sofa Spud
I would welcome a return to more colourful cars with non-metallic paint like we had in the 70's, except for no mustard or lime green!!!!

I see Lambourghini are offereng a matt finish on their cars as an option now. Whatever next! It looks horrible!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/06/2008 at 13:31

Matt battleship grey, best colour for any car.
White is the new black - NowWheels
I would welcome a return to more colourful cars with non-metallic paint like we had
in the 70's except for no mustard or lime green!!!!

I wouldn't miss the mustard, or any of the rest of 1970s earthy colours, but lime green is fun. However, it has to be really hurt-your-eyes bright and shiny, because if you're going to do garish, there's no pint in being half-hearted.

The last few years have seen cars painted for completely colour-blind people, with some manufacturers offering a huge choice of greys and silvers but little else, and it's time for a bit more pizazz. Bring back canary yellow!

Best of all would be a return of the Volkswagen Harlequin: www.rossvw.com/harlequin/picturepage/hq3-4.jpg
White is the new black - nick
Black and white are tones, not colours.

Mr. Pedant :-)

Edited by nick on 01/06/2008 at 14:34

White is the new black - bimmer-driver
Someone near me has a E92 335i in white that looks brilliant, and I wish I could have found a MINI Cooper Convertible when I bought mine in the Pepper white they do when I bought my Chili red one.
White is the new black - RickyBoy
There's been a mainly white (with a couple of black bits on the doors) Audi R8 parked less than 200-metres from my house all over the weekend ­ it's still there and has 'Press Office' on the plates! I'd best not give out the vehicle reg?

I don't know the people living there yet as they've only recently moved in but I'm guessing that they must work for Audi UK here in Milton Keynes as there's often a couple of 08 AudiVWGroup motors on their drive. Perhaps I'd best introduce myself to them pretty soon ­ heh?

Got to say that the colour looks very appropriate on this particular model, but generally white's a real 'no-no' for me.
White is the new black - DavidHM
Of the three new Mondeos in my street of 50 houses, two are that awful "Chill" metallic colour and one is tonic. It really is quite unpleasant.

As for white cars - got to agree that white suits the new Mondeo as long as it's a high spec car with big wheels. On an Edge with steel wheels, or the equivalent car in any other range for that matter, it looks like it's a company car just barely one step up from a van - but a clean, white car with big wheels, subtle bodykit and dark windows looks fantastic.
White is the new black - Brian Tryzers
Well our new Verso is silver and we actually chose it that way - but that's mainly because Toyota is one of the worst offenders for offering a choice of non-colours. We could have had white (but I've never seen a white Verso and wouldn't want to risk having the first one), black (which I've seen and looks terrible) mid-grey, a pale blue that looks grey in most light, too-dark blue or non-metallic red. (The demo car we borrowed was red and looked so like a fire engine that I was scanning the roof for the clips to attach the blue lights to.)

So silver it is; but then, I don't suppose Toyota designed the Verso to impress those on style's cutting edge. Even so, I don't suppose Ford designed the S-Max that way either, and there are some far more appealing colours available for that.
White is the new black - Marc
White also looks great on the current VW Golf GTi especially with large alloys.
White is the new black - Pebble
Here in southern Nevada, an awful lot of cars are white because it gets so hot here. So, it's practical but kind of boring--I've owned two white cars myself, but there has to be a less dull alternative, or?

My current tank, the New Yorker, is a lovely shade of Taupe, with a light tan interior--not white at all, and doesn't get too hot inside when it's 115 degreees outside.
White is the new black - Round The Bend
Mark I Astra GTE in full body kit looked brilliant in white.

All depends on the car, some look great, others look like taxis.
White is the new black - tr7v8
Always remember a neighbour getting a Volvo 740 estate in white, he was so proud but not impressed when I compared it to a fridge.
Maybe somethings shouldn't be in white such as MPVs etc.