Do you use your car's full potential? - pete&hisgolf
Had a test drive in a Honda S2000 on Wednesday which had me wondering just how often I would actually use the car's electrifying performance on busy UK roads, particularly in the wet.

So, how often do you use the full performance/handling/load carrying/4x4 etc etc potential of your car?

Edited by pete&hisgolf on 30/05/2008 at 10:45

Do you use your car's full potential? - spikeyhead {p}
whilst I occasionally stretch the legs of my Boxster S (in second gear) I think the only aspect of one of my car's performance trait I use to the full is the fuel economy of my Mondeo.
Do you use your car's full potential? - SuperBuyer
Interesting one this!

The Golf:-

0 to 60 in 8.3 secs - yes, from traffic lights when required for either fun or if a mistake has been made in the navigating (!)
Top Speed - 135? - nope. Not in this car. Last time I did that speed was a long time ago (on a track, obviously...)
5 seats - not for a while now we have the truck.. Generally just me in it.
Fuel Economy - 49.9mpg combined - yep, and beat it with about 50 - 55 average.

The Shogun:-

tiptronic - rarely, but sometimes useful
7 seats - didn't expect to, but very useful when the outlaws come to stay (4 adults and 2 kids fit easily, complete with shopping etc..
4x4 - not yet - not had any bad weather since its been back on the road! However, have used it to go through a ford (thats the one with water, not the blue badge)

So I suppose I'm getting close to using the potential. However, I probably don't NEED all of these things....

I used to get bored of cars, but these two do the jobs so well that IMO there is nothing better out there.
Do you use your car's full potential? - Glacier
Nope.
Do you use your car's full potential? - rogue-trooper
how often do you use the full performance/handling/load carrying/4x4 etc etc potential of your car?

Performance - once or twice for top speed but not in this country as 140mph is not sensible. In gear performance, very often

Handling - not sure you ever know unless it too late and you lose it. I seem to recall reading somewhere that most people never use more than 80% of the handling. Personally if I used that much I think that it would be too much.

Load carrying - frequently and I suspect sometimes too much.

Car - 530d Touring.
Do you use your car's full potential? - Burnout2
Well, the S2000 has particular problems on UK roads; it isn't fast at sub-stratospheric revs and is prone to punish foolish driving in the wet.

I frequently utilise the straight-line performance of my Mazda 3 MPS (third-gear overtakes from 30-80mph are stunning), but not much else. I wouldn't explore even the beginning of the outer edges of the handling envelope on public roads, and the 155mph top speed is equally theoretical.

Do you use your car's full potential? - Round The Bend
We sometimes use the Grand Scenic to it's full potential by using all 7 seats!
Do you use your car's full potential? - scouseford
Car - 530d Touring.

Would that be the Ssangyong 530d Touring?
Do you use your car's full potential? - Bagpuss
I drive my company BMW 530d flat out on the autobahns. So, pretty much using it in exactly the way it was intended.
Do you use your car's full potential? - rogue-trooper
when you say you drive flat out pretty much in the way it was intended, I am not totally sure that manufacturers make their cars with the primary aim for top speed. Surely the 530d has been made the way it is for a mix of fuel economy and mid range pulling power rather than top speed. Just being pedantic - apologies.
Do you use your car's full potential? - Group B
I often use maximum in-gear acceleration, but not been anywhere near its top speed.
I often corner quite quickly but wouldn't go anywhere near the limits of grip (except in the snow!).

But I'm currently doing a bit of an economy drive, with careful acceleration getting 50mpg while still doing 70 on the motorway (65% of my driving is dual carriageway/ motorway).

Load carrying - infrequently have carried a fridge freezer, washing machine, boot full of building materials, junk to the tip.
Do you use your car's full potential? - Bagpuss
> I am not totally sure that manufacturers make their cars with the primary aim for
top speed. Surely the 530d has been made the way it is for a mix
of fuel economy and mid range pulling power rather than top speed.

I don't think this car was designed specifically with the intention of having a very high top speed. But the combination of a powerful engine, a 6 speed gearbox and aerodynamics result in a high top speed. I think BMW realise that their customers, at least in Germany, expect to be able to drive distances at or close to the top speed and therefore design the suspension, brakes, cooling system, etc. to allow this without the car leaving the road, overheating, or having bits falling off it. German car manufacturers are in the unique position of supplying a home market that (at the moment at least) has no speed limits on its autobahns and have to offer products designed to cope with this. This makes them overengineered for overseas markets which, in my opinion, is one reason people like them.
Do you use your car's full potential? - Blue {P}
I use the full potential of boths cars almost every day. The MG is a pure delight to hammer round the twistys with the engine singing it's little heart out, and the Mondeo has a lovely punch to it when accelerating that makes it hard not to go near the limiter, it doesn't corner as well as the MG though :-)

Do you use your car's full potential? - b308
Performance-wise I don't use it to its extremes, though I do try to use its ecconomy potential - I do use it to its carrying capacity a fair bit, though, that's why I bought it!
Do you use your car's full potential? - movilogo
My car: Suzuki Ignis
Torque: yes, quite often reach 4000 rpm
Power: occassionally rev to 6000 rpm in 2nd gear
ABS: so far activated only once in icy road
full volume of music system: never tried, I'll become deaf
fuel economy: yes, often achieve 43 mpg against 45 mpg as advertised
passenger carrying: quite often carried 5 adults + some luggage
max speed: yes, rated 99 mph, achieved 105 mph (GPS reading - not on downhill) [not on public road :o)]
airbags: don't intend to use
luggage carrying capability: yes - moved house using this tiny car! Only obvious furnitures didn't fit in it like sofa, chests etc.

So, I'm quite happy to say that I've used full potential of my car.

On an advisory note, I don't think a car should be taken to its full mechanical limit everyday - it will cause pre-mature wear of components.

It is far easier to use cheaper/smaller cars to its full potential compared with a bigger/expensive cars.
Do you use your car's full potential? - smokie
No. It's my own car, but with company petrol (3.2 Vectra).

So, generally, I don't squeal the tyres but use a fair bit of welly away from lights if I'm in the mood. Avoid cornering/braking hard to save tyres/brakes. Use quite a bit of huice on mid range acceleration. Haven't for above 130ish yet, but planning a trip to Germany in Aug to see if it really does do 155...
Do you use your car's full potential? - Lud
Of course not. It's illegal and as many have pointed out, expensive.

Get a racing driver to do 20 quick laps of Silverstone in a brand new roadgoing Porsche 911 and see what it's like afterwards. It won't be brand new any more, that's for sure. Of course it would take most of us much longer to wear it out, but if we were trying hard we would soon crash anyway.

Edited by Lud on 30/05/2008 at 15:24

Do you use your car's full potential? - Mapmaker
You'd be amazed how much stuff I can cram in the car. Funnily I've always used the full carrying potential of all my cars, no matter how big (or small).
Do you use your car's full potential? - Optimist
Yeah, going to the tip uses full potential more than anything else.

Do you use your car's full potential? - L'escargot
I use the full potential of the petrol tank capacity when I fill up, but that's about all.
Do you use your car's full potential? - ijws15
No

To use the full dynamic potential may be illegal and in finding out I might find out that its capability is higher than mine and that would be dangerous.
Do you use your car's full potential? - GroovyMucker
Nope. Nor my PC, nor my sax, nor my ...

To be fair, even if I was a full-time driver (etc) I doubt I would. I know my limits!
Do you use your car's full potential? - MichaelR
0-60 6.7 seconds: Very rarely. I care for my clutch.
30-70 6.5 seconds: Quite often, useful when overtaking
155mph: Absolutely never
5 Seats: Very infrequently
Huge boot: Never
Do you use your car's full potential? - pete&hisgolf
Interesting.

To answer my own question, I reckon I routinely use about 90% of my Mazda 323's performance and handling capability. I'm usually one of the faster moving vehicles on any road, so I'm not sure when I'd get to use the extra abilities of a more capable car.

My car is worth £1,000 max. Is a BMW 1-series (for example) twenty times as good as my 323? I fancy a new motor, but I'm having trouble finding a good reason to buy one - "nice soft touch plastics" doesn't justify an extra £18k.
Do you use your car's full potential? - doctorchris
Panda 4x4.
Certainly use its egine power to the max as it would go nowhere if I didn't.
Handling, however, is superb and use this to the max on windy roads.
4x4 performance, well I have taken it off road but you only know you've used full performance when you get stuck which I have. Have used on ice and snow but again you only know if full performance used when you slide off the road or crash which I have not.
Do you use your car's full potential? - frazerjp
In my ZR, I've only filled the boot up once whilst I travelled up to Scotland with my then girlfriend, even then it still had a bit of space.
Did the same with my Ford Ka & ended up using the backseat as an overflow :)

Performance wise I've never taken the ZR to it's topend speed, I've however taken it to the rev limiter once by accident whilst overtaking somebody....... ooops....... but I do occasionally take the revs around the 4000-5000rpm mark occasionaly.

I fill the fuel tank up everytime I go to the filling station.

Occasionally I may go round bends with maximum adhesion when it's safe to do so.
Yes, I used to drive my Dyane absolutely flat most of the time, but the roads were a bit better in a lot of ways back in 1970. It was capable of putting in some remarkable times too (including once, in the small hours of Sunday morning, 54 miles on South-East A roads including about seven or eight miles of London in just under an hour, a time only equalled once over 30-plus years, and that in a much faster car, the usual time being an hour and a half to two hours).

The car hated it though, only did 30 or 35 mpg, never felt good driving like that and was pretty knackered at 30,000 miles although still going OK. I wouldn't be so cruel to it today. 2CV variants on their absolute cornering limits are very gauche to put it mildly, albeit quite faithful.

Edited by Lud on 31/05/2008 at 19:12

Do you use your car's full potential? - Martin Devon
I drive my company BMW 530d flat out on the autobahns. So pretty much using
it in exactly the way it was intended.

What does 'flat out' equate to in old money then?............................and are there ANY other vehicles around at the same time?

Just interested....................MD.
140 plus mph.

What difference is the presence of other vehicles, quite a few of which will be going at similar speeds, supposed to make MD?

Just interested...

:o}
Do you use your car's full potential? - Pugugly
One of the reasons I got shot of my BMW was that it wasn't being used to its full potential. Generally four empty seats, immense performance capability that was rarely used - the Skoda that replaced it is a far better proposition in these utilitarian days.
Do you use your car's full potential? - Ian (Cape Town)
I pushed the old man's Benz 380 to 230km/h early early one Sunday morning across the flatlands of the Karoo desert, for an extended period.
That's what they build them for!
Do you use your car's full potential? - Avant
Just think what speed Ian could have achieved if he hadn't been pushing a car. :)

Edited by Avant on 01/06/2008 at 00:55

He was being chased by boomslangs. If they had been spitting cobras he could have pushed an armoured personnel carrier at the same speed.