Council Arrogance - Zippy123
It is the arrogance of the councils that gets me. How dare they take money under false pretences then claim that they should not need to give it back.

It is just plain dishonest!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7424955.stm
Council Arrogance - Pendlebury
This does not suprise me in the least.
Under the last 10 years of this government this whole country is turning out to be a very nasty place to live and unfortunatley with the constant stream of litigation they feel necessary it has given the planks in the Town Hall a new lease of arrogance whether it be over parking, rubbish collection or anything else.
Councillors and MP's all talk of being in POWER - they never talk of serving the people that voted them in - as I pointed out to my council leader who lost his position in the recent elections.
Council Arrogance - Zippy123
Seems to me that this is changing to a country where once what was prohibited was defined in law has now changed to what is allowed is defined in law. A subtle, yet significant change.

I was taught to behave and that a criminal record was a very bad thing, but with folks being made criminals for putting rubbish out on the wrong day, even as a middle aged person, I am worried that I may accidentally forget to put the rubbish out and get a criminal record. If I do I could lose my job. It is a frightening situation to be in and I find myself double checking that the bin lid is closed, the bin is in the right place etc, etc.

It is a small thing, but to be frightened of the consequences of something so small is not good and I truly believe that we are on the road to totalitarianism.

Now where is that tin foil hat?
Council Arrogance - Brit_in_Germany
Time for the UK to change from the common law system to the continental civil law one? Under the latter certain acts can be prohibited but you do not become a criminal if you do not obey but are liable to a fine. Perhaps it is all a plot to become more European.
Council Arrogance - Ubi
This does not suprise me in the least.

It does not surprise me in the least either. Not for the reasons outlined above.

The most extreme British reaction to this type of cynical, contemptuous theft is a few raised eyebrows before the matter is forgotten and the business can be resumed of dutifully responding to cash demands from the government.

It is true that the vast majority of those from whom these councils have embezzled money simply paid up without a murmur. They have the government they deserve.

They want to try that in France!
Council Arrogance - madf
Councils and governments tend to forget they are public servants..
Council Arrogance - MVP
Elmbridge Council have deceided to put up "beware of uneven surface" signs instead of fixing the dangerous pot holed roads.

No doubt the money saved on fixing the roads will be spent on a few more "consultants" or enforcement officers, when all we realy need is a couple of blokes with a pickup, a pile of tarmac and shovels to actually fix the problem

This civil servant in this country make me want to weep

MVP
Council Arrogance - Armitage Shanks {p}
What REALLY riled me this morning, about this amazing arrogance, was that that it was stated that if you had paid the fine you had admitted guilt - end of story. If the signage, box junctions, parking bays etc are not in compliance with the law there is no offence to admit to. Pugulgy and DVD - comment please!
Council Arrogance - barney100
Dosen't surprise me either, ideal citizen is one who works all their life , pays all their taxes and claims nothing from the state, commits a few dubious fineable motoring errors and pegs it before their miserable pension needs to be paid out.