1999 2.0 belt and pump change. - disco dave
how difficult is it to change cam belt and water pump on s reg 2.0 mondeo. and what are the problems.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/05/2008 at 20:04

1999 2.00 belt and pump change. - jeremy99
I did my cam belt recently.

I would not say it was difficult but just more ackward than it should be. There is not that much space and no real thought has been given to making a belt change easier. My polybelt tensioner had nothing to turn it with, only the bolt through the pulley I am not sure
whether thats normal or someone had broken a piece off previously.

I bought the correct timing set with a pin for the cranshaft and a metal strip for the camshafts which made it easy to find and keep TDC on number one. This could be improvised if you have suitable bits lying around. The crankshaft bolt was very tight so even though one pin claimed to be for holding it I did it the old fashioned way in first gear with the wheels on the ground.

I jacked up the offside front and turned the engine using the road wheel. The block needs supporting as the middle cover is also the engine mount (if its a black top).

The tensioner is mechanical and a bit fiddly to set up. A new one is recommended and comes with the Ford OEM belt as a kit.

Took about five hours altogether but would expect to reduve it to three if I did it a second time.

Water pump should be around 30 minutes