Vauxhall diesels (modern ones) Any good ? - GenevaJohn
Just came across a 2005 Astra 1.7 cdti. It struck me that there's been plenty of talk about common rail problems (especially Ford and Mazda) and VAG comparisons, but not much mention of Vauxhall (unless I missed it).

Any views welcome.

Thanks
Vauxhall diesels (modern ones) Any good ? - barchettaman
Consensus seems to be that the 90bhp 1.3 diesel leaves the estate version underpowered.
Vauxhall diesels (modern ones) Any good ? - GenevaJohn
Thanks - I was thinking more about long-term reliabilty compared to Ford and VAG. The forum seems to have 'informed' people who wont touch a high miler Ford TDCI for example because of injection systems etc...( risk of an insolvable problem which writes off the car)I was just wondering where Vauxhall stand because I haven't them involved in these discussions.
Thanks again...
Vauxhall diesels (modern ones) Any good ? - 3T
I have one myself, have had just over a year of problem free ownership.
There are 2 types of 1.7 cdti , 80 and 100 hp. I have the 100 and am happy generally with performance and economy . Average per tank seems to be just over 50 mpg with mixed driving of around 9000 miles this year. I like to make progress so this would improve if i was more gentle.
Main dealer servicing seems reasonable so far- year 2 sevice was £170 , year 3 with an MOT comes in at just under £200 . I will take it to my local man once the warranty expires so should drop further .
Be aware the the 1.7 is an old design with a new fuel delivery system so is not the most refined engine but is supposed to be a tough lump.
I suppose only time will tell whether it was agood buy but I am pleased so far.
There are reports of clutch judder and also 'cim' problems (listen for clicking as the steering wheel is turned)
You can retrofit cruise control if not present on these, just buy the stalk(35 ish) and get it activated via tech 2 at a vauxhall dealership. Some rogues get this activated by taking the car in and saying their cruise control does not work !
Vauxhall diesels (modern ones) Any good ? - mike hannon
My pal had a Meriva with the 1.7 oiler and didn't rate it. Sold it after two years from new.
He now has an Astra with the 150hp 1.9 unit and likes it. I understand this is actually an Alfa engine, which impressed me when I tried it in the 156 Sportwagon.