00 2.0 HDi - Fuel Economy - ap306
Hi All,

My 306 is giving me approx. 190 miles from 20 litres of diesel with nothing but urban driving/short journeys, this equates to 42mpg.

The problem is that i am getting the same mpg when i drive entirely on the motorway.

Parkers/Peugeots figures state that i should be getting about 25% more when driving on the motorway.

This is not a one off test, i have performed this comparison a number of times, even refuelling from an empty tank to ensure a fair test.

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

Thanks in advance
00 2.0 HDi - Fuel Economy - Bromptonaut
Suspect the cause is over optimisitc manufacturers(?) figures in magazines!!!

I have a 2.0/110 HDi Xantia 2000/X. It does 44 to the gallon under pretty much all conditions. Even a week up and down Alpe D'Huez once or twice a day at 40 degrees C only got it down to 40.

Possibly I could get 50 by being really feather footed on the motorway but I find the temptation to "use" the performance too great.
00 2.0 HDi - Fuel Economy - smokescreen
I'm not feather footed at all and in my Xsara with the 2.0/110 HDi , I never have a problem reaching 50mpg whatsoever on the M'way and easily 40mpg in the city (though i'm much nicer on the pedal then).

Lowest brim-to-brim with the majority of the tank going to city driving was 47mpg.

How are both of you measuring your fuel usage? Do you give it a italian tune each week?

I suspect the (somewhat) lightweight Xsara chassis is helping a bit, along with what I suspect is a better than usual drag co-efficient.