Blind Spot mirrors - Rodgedodge
I want to fit some blind spot mirrors to my CR-V. The Magnum frogeye mirrors look very good on their website but I would like some user feedback before lashing out my hard-earned cash. Has anyone out there had experience of them?
Blind Spot mirrors - oilrag
I use much cheaper stick on one`s, works fine and not worth nicking or snapping off.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 09/05/2008 at 15:18

Blind Spot mirrors - Rodgedodge
Thanks oilrag, I tried those but they cover part of the mirror and I couldn't see much in them anyway.
Blind Spot mirrors - L'escargot
I always twist my body and have a good look over my right shoulder before changing lanes or overtaking. I never rely on mirrors alone.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/05/2008 at 09:09

Blind Spot mirrors - shawad
I always twist my body and have a good look over my right shoulder before
changing lanes or overtaking. I never rely on mirrors alone.

I'm surprised no-one from ABD has commented that by having a good look over your shoulder you're taking your eyes off the road for more than a second, and are more likely to have an accident than if you just didn't look in your mirrors at all. They'd probably say you should assume that no-one would be going faster than you anyway (since you won't be looking at your speedo either as that's far too dangerous) so there isn't likely to be a car there at all.

;-)
Blind Spot mirrors - Dave the rave
I bought some a while back and find they give a good field of view. Quite expensive compared with the stick on jobs, but they are good quality. They attach firmly with a couple of screws and no one has nicked them (yet). Hope this helps.
Blind Spot mirrors - normd2
I've tried a few different types over the years and the best IMHO is the round stick-on type. Fit them to the bottom inner (nearest the car) corner of the mirror - that's the area used the least - and you'll wonder how you managed without them BTW there's still no substitute for turning your head for a proper look.
Blind Spot mirrors - s61sw
There was a useful link posted on here sometime (18 months ?) ago that described a method of setting up your door mirrors so that blind spots were eliminated without resorting to sticking anything on.

S6 1SW
Blind Spot mirrors - Stuartli
I set up my rear view and door mirrors so that where the rear view mirror's view on each side ends is where the respective door mirror takes over.

The right hand mirror includes a section on the right of the glass that acts as a blind spot area.

Sounds simple but it gives the widest possible viewing area to the rear of the vehicle.

You can also buy wide angle rear view mirrors that can be clipped onto the existing mirror.

Edited by Stuartli on 12/05/2008 at 14:29

Blind Spot mirrors - movilogo
This explains how you can do it.

pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

Edited by movilogo on 12/05/2008 at 14:57

Blind Spot mirrors - Chris S
You can also buy wide angle rear view mirrors that can be clipped onto the
existing mirror.

The only trouble with these is that they tend to give you a brilliant view of the rear window pillars!
Blind Spot mirrors - Stuartli
>>The only trouble with these is that they tend to give you a brilliant view of the rear window pillars!>>

The one I was given - I've never used it - does widen the overall rear view; however you get into the habit of using the door mirrors when necessary.
Blind Spot mirrors - Bilboman
I tried this on the motorway today (adjusting door mirrors so as not to "overlap" with main rearview, i.e. swinging the door mirrors out further). Initial comments: It DOES take a bit of getting used to! Not being able to see lane markings close up is disconcerting, especially where the lanes get narrower. Not being blessed with electric mirrors, parking in a bay was also less slick and brisk than usual.
I had a wide-angle mirror many years ago - one that clipped on above the rearview, with large curved areas at each end - which I have not been able to use in my last few cars owing to almost no space between mirror and headlining. I remember constantly seeing my face, distorted and very close up, which used to induce nausea.
Jury's still out on mirrors!
Blind Spot mirrors - supersmashing

Magnum frog eyes are the only ones worth fitting - the stick-on garbage from Halfords is smaller than a matchbox & utterly useless. IMHO the magnum frogeyes are essential when using UK motorways - especially on slip lanes. It takes a few weeks to learn how to use them - on a motorway they become more useful than the main mirrors.

Blind Spot mirrors - Smileyman

I'm not familiar with these Magnum products so cannot comment, but the cheap stick on type from Halfords (or cheaper at Wilkinson) seem to work fine for me. I've stuck them on both door mirrors in the outer corners, they give a good view of the side of the car (useful when parking near a wall) and of the lane next to me (useful for motorways etc) for both when driving in the UK and Europe.

Problems, well after a few years the reflective capacity has worn away, easily solved by fitting a replacement, and on frosty mornings they need to be cleaned by hand as the mirror heaters don't cover them.

For several years on my previous car the driver's mirror glass was missing, but with one of these stick on devices the car met and passed MOT requirements.

IMO they are better than the concave sections on some car door mirrors and anyway many manufacturers don't fit these sections to passenger door mirrors.