93 1.7td oil light - trucker1958
Pls help,

i have a isuzu powered astra td been in the family 5 yrs done 130k longstanding prob.
when cold oil light goes out at tickover, when hot oil light keeps coming on at tickover going out at 1000rpm, replaced oil pump, pressure release valve. still same.

All sugestions welcome.
93 1.7td oil light - Dynamic Dave
When was the oil and filter last changed, and what grade oil was used?
93 1.7td oil light - Peter.N.
Iwould have thought if the oil pressure was really that low there would be audible evidence. I would suspect a faulty sensor.
93 1.7td oil light - trucker1958
Thanks for the reply, just got this car been in family last 5 yrs, was my uncles car he sadly passed away last yr car not been used in the last 9 months since his death.

Car been very well maintained by my cousin,its always had this problem that was why they replaced oil pump, its had regular oil changes but not sure which oil he used or indeed what grade is the "CORRECT" one for the car.

Will ring my cousin to try to find out.

many thanks,

mark church.
any further help just message me.

93 1.7td oil light - Dynamic Dave
or indeed what grade is the "CORRECT" one for the car.

www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/owners/engineoils.do#Astra
93 1.7td oil light - Number_Cruncher
As long as the oil light goes out above 1000 rpm when the engine's hot, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I know this sounds odd advice, but at hot tickover there's no need for much oil ressure at all, and as long as there's 5 psi or so, everything will be fine. I would expect that the light will trigger at 10 psi or so, and will be a bit on the cautious side.

Don't try and compensate by filling with thick oil.
93 1.7td oil light - Pugugly
A faulty oil pressure switch ?