Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - Mapmaker
Given that I'll never make a claim on it unless I've damaged somebody else... what does it give me?

Windscreen cover.

Anything else?

I tell a lie. Windscreen cover is included within the TPO cover.
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - dieselicious
Peace of mind?
Peace of mind for what? The car is worthless.
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - oldnotbold
When you say you won't claim on it unless you damage another car, do you mean that you are immune from parking bollards, gateposts, holes in the road that wreck wheels/suspension and all the other stationary items.
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - Hamsafar
If the car is worthless and you are low risk, then no.
If you are very clumsy or do a high urban mileage, it may be worthwhile.

Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - L'escargot
Given that I'll never make a claim on it unless I've damaged somebody else...

What about if you personally are damaged in an accident?
I would never make a claim on my insurance policy for damage to my car as:

1. I drive old cars

2. The value of the car is inevitably less than the additional cost of increased insurance over the next few years.

My question is (sorry, I thought it was clear) what other benefits are there from fully comp insurance other than to cover ones own silly damage to ones own car.

If an uninsured driver hits me, I will not make a claim.

I do not believe in insuring for possible events that I can afford to pay for myself.

Personal accident insurance is quite a separate issue from fully comp insurance. You have to buy that on top (or it is given to you free, for a higher insurance payment). Anyway, there's inevitably a cap of £20 - 30,000, so it's useless and worthless.

So, back to the question. Why would I want to pay the extra £50?

Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - ForumNeedsModerating
Personal accident insurance is quite a separate issue from fully comp insurance. You have to buy that on top (or it is given to you free, for a higher insurance payment). Anyway, there's inevitably a cap of £20 - 30,000, so it's useless and worthless.

I can't really understand the logic in wanting to save £50 (although the precise details of the mooted comprehensive cover have not been revealed) , from a typical list , this is what you'll probably not get without comp. ins. :

# Loss of, theft or damage to your car
# Accident recovery
# New car replacement
# Injury to you or your partner
# Medical expenses
# Personal belongings and child seat cover
# No claim discount
# Glass in windscreens, sunroofs and windows
# Replacement locks
# Suspending cover
# Continental use and compulsory insurance requirements

There may be others (probably are) not listed. For me (even driving a banger) not having comp. ins. would be penny-wise, pound foolish. I wouldn't sat say £20-30K was worthless either!

The comp policy is from elephant. (Under half Direct Line's quotation) Thanks for suggestions, that's why I asked the question. However:

# Loss of, theft or damage to your car
As stated. Not worth making a claim for it. I'll either write the car off or pay to repair it. I am perfectly happy to self-insure. With a £500 excess, that's more than the car's worth anyway...
# Accident recovery
Possibly... except if it needs recovering, it'll be worthless - so I might as well claim £70 from a scrappie who can come and collect it.
# New car replacement
See (1)
Elephant asks you to pay extra for that anyway
# Medical expenses
NHS... or BUPA will cover that.
# Personal belongings and child seat cover
Restricted to 15% of the value of the car... so less than the excess, so uninsurable anyway.
# No claim discount
That can be protected under TPO
If you read my earlier post, that's covered.
# Replacement locks
OK, possibly... but isn't that subject to the £500 excess anyway?
# Suspending cover
What d you mean?
# Continental use and compulsory insurance requirements
Green card included (which is more than it is with Direct Line's fully comp)
If you read my earlier post, that's covered.

I did, you mention only 'windscreen'.

Elephant asks you to pay extra for that anyway

So that's a +ve then, as it's included in my example. Not worth £50 p.a.? Yikes.

# No claim discount

'It 'can' be? You mean that's extra under TPO as well. Another tick for comp. ins. then!

MM, maybe you should change insurer then? The list I gave was from a well-known insurer, maybe they're not competitive with yours but it seems your 'comp' has more limits & exclusions (prima facie) than the example I found. The ins. company's name I quoted details from is an anagram of 'CAR'.
That particular lot want twice as much as Elephant want; sorry!

Well, as they don't charge a jumbo premium, you're better off it seems going with the herd - try to stick to trunk roads though!
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - Falkirk Bairn
I had Comp Ins on my Honda - renewal came in and it was £141 - just to test I entered details on website and 3rd Party F&T was MORE expensive.

Therefore I stuck with Comp Policy - renewed the car lately and premium went down as new car is a Group Higher but has better security & therefore Lower Premium.

Ins and logic are not necessarily in step.
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - P3t3r
# No claim discount

Is that worth doing? I never go for it because it seems pointless, the insurance companies seem to make the numbers up anyway, very unfair IMHO. If you make a claim I don't think they take away all of your NCD anyway. Also, if you have an accident they're going to sting you at your next renewal.
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - L'escargot
There may be others ........

Uninsured loss recovery ~ mine is for up to £50,000.
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - martint123
Uninsured loss recovery ~ mine is for up to £50 000.

Has always been an extra when I look - TPO and Fully comp.

I'm fully comp as it's cheaper than TPF&T - but I aggree with the OP's sentiments - as I have three vehicles, the increase in premiums for all of them if I make a claim on one is probably not worth it for anything less than a grand.
Is fully comp insurance worth £50? - ifithelps
The insurance co don't think fully comp - in this case - is worth much, or they would be charging a lot more than £50 for it.

The price is low because, as Mapmaker has surmised, the value of his car is low.

All the other stuff is largely irrelevant as far a calculating the extra premium for fully comp is concerned.