New(ish) Direction Signs - scouseford
Can anybody explain the meaning of direction signs that seem to be appearing with increasing frequency in this neck of the woods.

They are on yellow backgrounds, usually about 2ft wide and 1 ft deep and they display either a square, a triangle, a diamond or a circle accompanied by an arrow. The symbols are sometimes just outlines and sometimes solid black.

The Highway Code describes them as 'Direction Signs for Emergency Diversion Routes' but there seems to be no explanation as to what the various symbols represent.

Any ideas?

Edited by Pugugly on 05/05/2008 at 19:27

New(ish) Direction Signs - Lud
Off the top of my head, mammoth holdups are planned on various crucial local trunk routes, and these things have been placed to direct all the diverted traffic that will soon be clogging your peaceful lanes, hooting, cursing, sweating, bursting its cooling systems and failing to follow the maze-like signposts or getting them mixed up with other ones.

Just a thought. Hope it doesn't last too long, but judging by London and its myriad temporary traffic lights you could be in for a couple of years of sheer hell. I imagine they are doing something crucial like replacing a couple of kerbstones.

:o}

Edited by Lud on 05/05/2008 at 19:31

New(ish) Direction Signs - Ravenger
I believe they are routes for HGV's and other large vehicles to follow if the main route is closed. The symbol is used to designate the actual route followed.

For example, a road near me was to be closed for two weeks for major repairs. Signs appeared telling HGV's to follow the route designated by a diamond, while cars followed a different diversion, as the main diversion route wasn't suitable for HGVs.

New(ish) Direction Signs - Dwight Van Driver
Where it is necesssary to close a M Way or main road in an emergency, special signs may be displayed to advise drivers on that road of the alternative route to follow to rejoin the original road. If the alternative route is relatively easy the route will shown on a special sign without any additional. Eg " M62 West closed - alternative route (road number)."

Where the route is complex drivers may be advised to follow a special symbol either oncorporated in an existing direction sign or displayed on separate signs along the route
e.g yellow rectangle with any one of the following:

Black square
Black triangle
Black outline of a square
Black outline of triangle
Black circle
etc etc

until the orginal route is rejoined./

dvd
New(ish) Direction Signs - L'escargot
Black circle

Directions to a tyre depot. ;-)