02 1.8 speedo stops working & engine cuts out - mrseeyore510
I have an on-going problem with my 2002 1.8 zetec estate. Briefly, the speedo fails, lights dim, radio goes quiet, wipers slow down, sometimes engine stops when changing down gears but will re-start if I let the clutch out quickly. If it doesn't re-start, I lose power steering & coast to a halt, which is scary/dangerous if I'm going round a corner or island - it's rolled up to the kerb more than once. (Usually, after a minute or so everything returns to normal - sometimes after only a few seconds). This has been happening intermittently for some time now & I have had new battery, alternator, plugs, etc & even Ford diagnostics run on the engine cannot find a fault anywhere! Obviously there IS something wrong here - does ANYONE PLEASE have any ideas???!!!

Edited by Pugugly on 29/01/2009 at 23:12

2002 1.8 speedo stops working & engine cuts out - mikej
Speedo dropping to zero and subsequent loss of power are the main symptoms of a failing vehicle speed sensor.

Im my case, speedo would drop to zero, then return to normal after anything from a few seconds to 5 minutes or so. Sometimes the odometer would also show --/--/--- and on a few occasions I experienced total loss of power and had to coast to a stop.

Try searching this forum for 'vehicle speed sensor' or 'vss' and 'Ford / Focus 1998-2004' (> and then < 1 year) and you should find many posts on the subject, including a lengthy one from me with advice on how to change it yourself if you're feeling adventurous. I'd only recommend changing the vss if you're sure that it is the source of your problem though, as it can be a pain to do.

I would have thought that Ford diagnostics should have picked it up though...?
2002 1.8 speedo stops working & engine cuts out - Screwloose

Far too extensive a fault to be just a speed sensor; it's got all the hallmarks of an engine earth cable fault - maybe corrosion between the cable core and one terminal.
2002 1.8 speedo stops working & engine cuts out - jaypymer
I have a 1999 focus with exactly the same problem did you ever resolve the problem on yours

Edited by jaypymer on 29/01/2009 at 23:11