02 (52 reg) 2.0hdi Fault code P1448 - Treelo73
Hi guys

I have had a fault code P1448 on my peugeot 307sw RHS engine. Have googled it and it says ELC system 2 fault -can anyone put this into non technical terms for me so i can understand it?

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/05/2008 at 13:36

02 (52 reg) 2.0hdi Fault code P1448 - Screwloose

P1448 - on an RHS with a Bosch EDC15C2 system:- "Particulate emission filter overloaded."

Your exhaust filter is blocked. What message is coming up on the dash display?

What's the recorded miles - and was the emission system serviced and FAP replaced, as required, at 50,000 miles?

[Forget ELC2; fault codes are system specific and can have up to ten different meanings.]
Hi display reads unblock diesel filter and anti pollution fault. New particulate filter at 33072 sorry I'm not sure what a FAP is?

Reagrds
PS it's only done 49k!

A FAP is PSA-speak [Filtre au particulates] for an exhaust particulate filter - why was it changed early, [very odd] was the Eolys fluid topped-up at the same time and what did it all cost?

The diesel filter in the [expected] message is a reference to the FAP. The anti-pollution is self-explanatory.

Are you sure the recorded mileage is genuine? Does your use include regular journeys consistently above 50mph?
I'm not sure why it was changed early, merely because of the error message and diagnosis from Peugeot - it was purchased from a peugeot owned dealer so I would hope the mileage was genuine (although I am starting to lose faith) I am unsure whether the EYOLPS was filled although the bill was £700 for new FAP. When should it need changing then - peugeot have told me 42k?

Something very wrong here; a FAP, in normal driving, should regenerate every 500 miles and should always last at least 50K - around 70K is when the neglected ones bite back.

Around £700 is typical for FAP 'n fill; so it should be OK for fluid.

What about your usage? Is it all slow urban driving?
Not really - school run during the week but almost always had a good run at weekends as we are ususally out and about - motorway / dual carriageway at least once or twice a week. Does this matter?

Thanks

The FAP should start to regenerate whenever it's over 50 for more than six minutes; your usage seems fine, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

The system stores huge amounts of data, including the mileage since the previous five re-gens. Something is going wrong if it's not regenerating and that needs investigating rather than just replacing the FAP itself - which is only necessary when it's full of re-gen residue.

You're not using "bio-diesel" or anything silly, are you?
No I'm not using anything other than straightforward diesel from the pump. Thanks

In that case; there is a fault with the system - maybe the Eolys additive isn't being injected into the tank, or similar.

You'll need a clued-up garage to investigate the real cause of the blockage; not just fit another, unnecessary, FAP.
Hi, the garage did call me and advise me that the sump was holding too much oil and they drained out the excess would this be related? Thanks

I'd want to know why the sump was over-filled; but it has no obvious correlation to the FAP problem.