02 2.0 what brand tyres do you recommend ? - rover75mark
I need to put 2 new tyres on my 2002 Rover 75 2.0 diesel for as little as possible. I do mainly local journeys and cover around 14K miles a year. What tyres do Backroomers suggest? I am looking to spend around £50 a corner and have found several well known brands in my price range, namely Avon, Yokohama, Goodyear, Firestone, Uniroyal, Pirelli or Dunlop. Obviously I'd like something hard-wearing but not too noisy or that gives a hard ride.

Any advice on what to go for or avoid would be appreciated as I know nothing about tyres!! Cheers.

Edited by Pugugly on 29/04/2008 at 23:12

02 2.0 Rover 75 - what brand tyres do you recommen - tyro
The answer will depend to some extent what size your tyres are.

A useful source of online information is the ADAC tyre tests - these are in German - but with a translation website like Babelfish, can be roughly translated into English.

In their latest test of 195/65 R15 tyres, they found the Michelin Energy Saver to be the most hard-wearing, the best for fuel consumption, and very quiet, so it might suit you. (Its weakness was that it was not a brilliant wet weather tyre.)

Full results here: tinyurl.com/6ekbk9

Continental tyres generally are pretty satisfactory according to most tests, and I tend to use them.

To the best of my knowledge, the ride quality is dependent on the tyre size (high profile = better ride, low profile = worse ride), but not the brand you choose.

Edited by tyro on 29/04/2008 at 23:09

02 2.0 Rover 75 - what brand tyres do you recommen - DrS
You will get at least 7 different answers, but I say go for Dunlops.
They're quiet.
I had Dunlops on mine, replaced them with Pirelli, and it absolutely ruined the car.
Doubt that you'll find them at £50 a corner, though?

Good luck!
02 2.0 Rover 75 - what brand tyres do you recommen - tyro
I should add that the Michelins aren't cheap, but since they are very hard wearing, they may work out cheaper in the end.
02 2.0 Rover 75 - what brand tyres do you recommen - rover75mark
Thanks for the replies so far. DrS - thats interesting you like Dunlops. I asked the same question in one of the Rover forums and they seem anti-Dunlop for some reason. I've found Dunlop SP200E fully fitted at £51.50 a corner from tyre-shopper.co.uk, they also have Dunlop Sport Fast Response at £53 all in. So far Goodyear seem to be getting good reviews so am tempted with those, espeially since they were fitted to the car when I got it. There are 3 different types of Goodyears on that site, again all £53 each.

Still interested to hear any more advice.

Cheers
02 2.0 Rover 75 - what brand tyres do you recommen - mrmender
I got ueaven wear and poor mileage out of dunlops on my 75 go for firestones better wearing i get about 7k more out of them over Dunlops
02 2.0 Rover 75 - what brand tyres do you recommen - quizman
I had Dunlop SP200E's on my Passat when new. I thought they were rubbish, hopeless in the wet. I replaced them with Pirelli P7's and the car's handling and grip in the wet was transformed.

On your list I would go for the Pirellis, make sure they are P7, or the Goodyears.

My mother's car had Dunlops on when new, after a few years a huge bulge came up on one wheel, I replaced all 4 not with Dunlops!