Hats off to Yorkshire - Mad Maxy
(Well I often wear a hat.) I've just been from Selby to near Whitby via the A19, A64 and A169; no speed cameras, plenty of hazards between Pickering and Whitby, and also near Kirkham on the A64, but it's almost all NSL.

So the authorities there regard motorists as reasonably intelligent beings able to make their own decisions after some good advice via road signs. Wow, that's really a revelation to those of us who live in Bucks.

And drivers up there get a move on. 60 mph on single carriageway roads (where safe so to do). Another revelation!

Yorkshire is God's Own County after all!
Hats off to Yorkshire - martint123
ISTR North Yorkshire still has a fairly full Traffic division? and they will and do pull naughty boys. Much better than mindless machines.

Very nice roads on a sunny day.
Hats off to Yorkshire - Dwight Van Driver
No they suffered cuts as well.

Not nearly a quarter of what we had my day - 4 cars a shift from Northallerton to cover A1 Borougbridge to Darlington and Baldersby Rbt to Middlesbrough A19. Yet at the time according to Home Office based on milage to covered then this should have been tripled and crews doubled. Whats new?

Whilst cameras have so far been resisted the current rate of fatals may raise the question..........

dvd
Hats off to Yorkshire - JH
That's a cracking road. Did you enjoy the long downhill stretch with the tight left kink and bridge at the bottom, then foot hard down to get up the opposite side?

They do have police though. They were having a crackdown last time I was there (September last year) which I believe was reported in this forum. So have fun but be good!
JH
Hats off to Yorkshire - Fullchat
When it warms up a few degrees and the sun comes out so will the mobile cameras for the bikers. Its not just the bikes that get caught. They are targeting the bikes hard this year.
I believe Traffic Cops this week has a motorcycle theme.
Hats off to Yorkshire - daveyjp
Another A169 fan here, although the alternative route over the moors is much more fun. Past Pickering railway station and follow the signs to Egton Bridge and Whitby. No coaches or HGVs, fords, 1 in 3s - a lovely drive when the sun is out.

Don't be fooled that North yorkshire doesn't have cops out and about though. I often see them sat in the layby on the Settle bypass waiting for their next victim!
FC has it right again.

Traffic Cops

Wednesday 23 April
8:00pm - 9:00pm
BBC1
Riding Their Luck

A look at the challenges facing Britain's road police. The heady mix of sunny days and open country roads in the East Riding of Yorkshire means one thing - bikers out to have fun. And for PC Glenn Dennis, a Suzuki-riding officer, it means another - stopping them breaking the law.

It's a shame a few morons wreck it for everyone.
Hats off to Yorkshire - Pugugly
Saw a couple of them today near Llanberis....my estimate pretty near a ton in a 50 (with multiple junctions) with a pillion. Clown.
Hats off to Yorkshire - Muggy
I drove to Whitby and back via the A169 last weekend - I'd agree; it's one of the more interesting roads I've been on for a while.

JH - I can guess exactly which bit you mean!
Hats off to Yorkshire - Orson {P}
The run to Whitby on the A169 is a police driver training route as well!
I believe Traffic Cops this week has a motorcycle theme.

And it wasn't rabidly anti-bike - not bad at all really.
Hats off to Yorkshire - Fullchat
I concur.

Edited by Fullchat on 23/04/2008 at 22:36

That's a cracking road. Did you enjoy the long downhill stretch with the tight left
kink and bridge at the bottom then foot hard down to get up the opposite
side?

Not as much as I should have done - HGV. But once I got past...
Hats off to Yorkshire - Snakey
I'm sure the weather has something to do with it. On the A1058 here the mobile speed traps only tend to appear on bright sunny days!
Hats off to Yorkshire - Dwight Van Driver
My old wordly wise Sergeant used to say

"Good Policeman never get wet."

dvd
"Good Policeman never get wet."

That was when there were police boxes on every street corner ;)
(with a kettle ???)
Hats off to Yorkshire - PhilW
"the long downhill stretch with the tight left kink and bridge at the bottom then foot hard down to get up the opposite side?"

Ellerbeck Bridge I think. Roads were even more fun in late 1960s when roads were virtually deserted - mind you, the cars to enjoy the roads by were a bit few and far between, but Dad's Riley 4/68 (wow, 68 bhp!!) had a good try!! Also some very entertaining forestry roads a bit further east (Bickley, Langdale etc) which were used by RAC Rally at the time. Trying to emulate Paddy Hopkirk in mates standard Mini was good fun!!
Incidentally, a lovely part of the world and a great place to grow up!

the long downhill stretch with the tight left kink and bridge at the bottom then foot hard down to get up the opposite side?

This the one? just past fylingdales pyramid tinyurl.com/56mmn2

Edited by martint123 on 24/04/2008 at 12:13

Martint, that's certainly the one I think he meant?

Also, when coming over the ridge northbound the view of the Hole of Horkum was such that I heard "Wow!" exclaimations from my wife and our oldest in the back seat! [ It was the first time we'd been on that route ].

As the driver I'm the only one who didn't get to have a proper look at it - next time I'll plan in time to stop at the viewing point there.

By the way, Maxy - are you who I think you are? Are your initials DM and did you used to write a column in a magazine when a chap whose initials are MB was editing it? :-)
By the way Maxy - are you who I think you are? Are your initials
DM and did you used to write a column in a magazine when a chap
whose initials are MB was editing it? :-)

Muggy, I suspect not. My initials are PM and I have done some writing - and been published! - but exclusively for the financial press.

I hope that, for me, your suspicion of my being DM is a good thing...? Or was/is he a lousy writer with the most fatuous of views? :-)
I hope that for me your suspicion of my being DM is a good thing...?
Or was/is he a lousy writer with the most fatuous of views? :-)

Rest assured, it's a good thing. The writer I had in mind was very entertaining with his writing style and many missed his column after a change of editor led to a wholesale clear out of columnists.
Hats off to Yorkshire - JH
m
I don't normally drive at that altitude but that looks right!

There's plenty of good walking round there too. Getting into the Hole of Horcum is easier than you might think.

Now, how about the B6277 above Barnard Castle heading up into Teesdale? Any thoughts on that one?

JH
Hats off to Yorkshire - PhilW
"This the one?"
Thats the one I was thinking of as well

Edited by PhilW on 24/04/2008 at 21:03